Dentist Visits

GillyG

Jun 30, 2018
Hello everyone, it's been along time since I last posted and a lot has happened. My hubby had to go into hospital and whilst in there he ended up with Covid, thankfully after a 7 week stay he is back home and covid free. However he is now bedridden and unable to feed himself, his communication is poor and now on level 4 for eating and drinking. He is having problems with his teeth and they are giving him trouble sometimes he wont eat because of the discomfort. I and my doctor have tried to get a dentist to visit but no one will has anyone else had this problem? Although his carers are putting bonjela plus other similar gels onto his teeth and gums, which help it does not solve the problem. My Dr. said only thing to do would be to call an ambulance and take him to A & E which is the last thing I want to do. Anyone got any ideas how I can help him?

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
My mother in law had community dental services visit at home, although she wasn't bedridden. I'm not sure if that's still available

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I tried for over 2 years to get the community dentist team to come out to my mum whilst she was in a care home. Her dentures had been lost in hospital leaving her just 4 teeth at the centre front. These gradually broke off leaving her with just one - terrible for her. But they didn't come despite chasing them umpteen times, both me and the CH manager. This was pre-covid...

Really hope you get better sevice.

PatAnn

Mar 6, 2019
I tried for over 2 years to get the community dentist team to come out to my mum whilst she was in a care home. Her dentures had been lost in hospital leaving her just 4 teeth at the centre front. These gradually broke off leaving her with just one - terrible for her. But they didn't come despite chasing them umpteen times, both me and the CH manager. This was pre-covid...

Really hope you get better sevice.
My OH has a community dentist that visits him at home every 6 months and will come out in an emergency they even extracted a tooth at home that was loose for him .I hope you can find the treatment for him our doctor put us in touch with the dental department at the hospital and they organised one who deals with dementia patients in our area good luck xx

GillyG

Jun 30, 2018
My mother in law had community dental services visit at home, although she wasn't bedridden. I'm not sure if that's still available
[/Q
My OH has a community dentist that visits him at home every 6 months and will come out in an emergency they even extracted a tooth at home that was loose for him .I hope you can find the treatment for him our doctor put us in touch with the dental department at the hospital and they organised one who deals with dementia patients in our area good luck xx
Thank you I have the number for our local community dentist but they never pick up I keep trying every day. Contacted my GP but they've had no luck. No one wants to come out because of the virus. Don't understand why when we have other health workers coming into the house.What's the difference between health workers and dentist??

ageddisregan

Hi GillyG, I'm sorry your husband is having problems with his teeth, especially in such a strange COVID world. Community dental services are a good starting point and are well placed to advise. Many have experienced staff who can see people at home, but this has been mostly stopped due to COVID. I hope that you can still find some advice. There are often no easy answers here, which is why I'm running a research study about this. We'd be really interested to hear more about your experiences to help us improve dental care in dementia, Andy

Attachments

• A5 Flyer with logo V2.1 16092020.pdf
    796.6 KB · Views: 292