Dental Care

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
I'm after practical tips for dental care: sadly, 'Personal Care' is a thing of the past. My husband can rarely be pursuaded to brush his teeth now, and doesn't co-operate when I try and do it for him (hardly surprising .....).
I asked the dentist this week what I could do, he suggested a Listerine mouthwash, and reassured me that it would not do any harm if my husband swallowed it.
Have you ever tried it???? It almost blows your head off - no chance of getting that past my loved one, and in my naive optimism I bought a big bottle of the stuff! Might use it to clear the drains.

Seriously: does anyone have any tips? Neither tooth decay nor gum disease are things we could easily deal with now, since my husband is unable to follow anything but the most basic instructions, and a visit to the dentist or hygienist is not possible as he cannot get into the car.

Thanks in advance!

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya
The dentist recommended us an extra strong fluoride paste to try and get on mum's teeth at night, can't remember what it is called but will find out. We got mum a battery toothbrush; OK she bites it frequently and stops the head moving, but I think it has been more efficient than ordinary toothbrush. I started cleaning mum's teeth when she was in the bath, as she seemed more relaxed and a little more amenable to having the brush in her mouth. I don't think there is any easy answer, just a case of doing the best that you can.
Amy

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Nan

I have been to the dentist this week, and while I was there I asked hIm about Margaret, as I cannot get her to the dental surgery, and he said he would arrange a home visit if we wished. I am considering this, and if I think it needed will make the arrangements next time I go for a check up. This is an NHS practice so I think it must be normal procedure.

I know this does't help with cleaning but at least you can perhaps get his teeth checked.

What about the Smints they are advertising on television just at present?

Cheers Barraf

Nutty Nan

Nov 2, 2003
Buckinghamshire
Thank you both for your quick replies.
It is reassuring that Dentists do home visits, but I am hoping to be able to prevent rather than cure.
I will try and find out about 'smints' - haven't seen the advert as we hardly ever watch TV now.