Dental Care

GM1

Feb 12, 2015
Would appreciate any advice on getting dental care for my wife who is the advanced stages of dementia. She is chair bound, immobile and does not respond much to stimuli. She would struggle with drills and other dental equipment. Does anyone use travelling dental services? How effective are they?

witts1973

Jun 20, 2018
Leamington Spa
Would appreciate any advice on getting dental care for my wife who is the advanced stages of dementia. She is chair bound, immobile and does not respond much to stimuli. She would struggle with drills and other dental equipment. Does anyone use travelling dental services? How effective are they?

My mum lost a tooth that held in her denture and I was in a panic about it,l spoke to her dentist and he sent a referral to the community dentist as she was bed/house bound and it was accepted,I think we may have waited a few weeks to be seen,the community dentist was attached to a local hospital and a community ambulance was arranged to collect my mum and myself after telling them I had to go to,we didn't have a ramp but that wasn't a problem the 2 operatives from the ambulance carried mum over the threshold.
I was quite surprised as we have been a couple of times and mum has had a filling and had 2 teeth removed and she took it in her stride,I was more worried than she was,and I hope this would be the case with your wife.
They will prescribe high flouride toothpaste for you if they think it would be of benefit and it probably will be if teeth are no longer brushed as well as they once were

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
My Mum's being treated by the community dentist at the moment but it took over 2 months to get an appointment following an urgent referral from her dentist, so I guess wait times will be variable depending how long their waitlist is. They were very good but I had to arrange transport myself to get Mum to the clinic. She's chair bound at the moment and the GP has prescribed a mild sedative for when she has 2 teeth removed on Monday. Hopefully it will go well, fingers crossed!

ageddisregan

Hi All, I hope you don't mind me posting here.
I'm really interested to hear about your experiences of dental care and am currently leading a research project on this. I do hope that people aren't struggling with dental problems for now. If anyone would be willing to discuss their experiences as part of a care improvement research project please do let me know. Thanks,