1. Expert Q&A: Living well as a carer - Thurs 29 August, 3-4pm

    As a carer for a person living with dementia, the needs of the person you care for will often come before your own. You may experience a range of difficult emotions and you may not have the time to do all the things you need to do. Caring can have a big impact on both your mental and physical health, as well as your overall wellbeing.

    Angelo, our Knowledge Officer (Wellbeing) is our expert on this topic. He will be here to answer your questions on Thursday 29 August between 3-4pm.

    You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

Denied access by Power of Attorney dubiously obtained

Discussion in 'Welcome and how to use Dementia Talking Point' started by pinfog, Jan 1, 2019.

  1. pinfog

    pinfog New member

    Jan 1, 2019
    I moved back in with my mother 18 months ago and have been her sole carer for most of that time until recently, out of the blue, my brother took her to his house 'for a week'.
    I was surprised but welcome of the respite.
    Now he tells me she doesn't know who I am and will not let me visit her or talk to her on the phone.
    He says he now has Power of Attorney and I can do nothing about denied access.
    There is no sense or justification for this and I am devastated, heart-broken, alone & lost.
    I can only speculate about an ulterior motive.
    What can I do?
    Please, someone help.
  2. Duggies-girl

    Duggies-girl Registered User

    Sep 6, 2017
    I f this was very recently then I doubt he has had time to get it registered properly and who was the certificate provider.

    You may be able to object to this as there is a period of time allocated for this.

    You will get more answers soon that will be more useful to you.
  3. Louise7

    Louise7 Registered User

    Mar 25, 2016
    Welcome to TP. You can contact the OPG to check if anyone has power of attorney for your mother. Details here: https://www.gov.uk/find-someones-attorney-or-deputy. How long as she been living with your brother? The process of obtaining power of attorney isn't particularly quick, usually around 12 weeks average. Is your mother deemed to have mental capacity?
  4. pinfog

    pinfog New member

    Jan 1, 2019
    This started 6 weeks ago when she was fine much of the time and the sudden claimed deterioration shocks me.
    I'll have to google OPG, thanks for your advice
  5. Amethyst59

    Amethyst59 Registered User

    Jul 3, 2017
    Hello @pinfog, a horrible situation for you but you have definitely come to the right place to get help. I agree with the others, it is not a quick process to obtain LPA, and just filling the forms in is not enough. It needs to be registered.
    The other thing you could do, is contact Social Services. If you feel there is a possibility that your mother is being prevented from seeing you. against her will. Look up your local number and ask for Adult Safeguarding. And lastly, you can always ring the help line at the Altzheimer’s Society. They are really brilliant with advice in difficult situations. It is open again from tomorrow.
    0300 222 11 22
    Our helpline advisers are here for you.
    Helpline opening hours:
    Monday to Wednesday 9am – 8pm
    Thursday and Friday 9am – 5pm
    Saturday and Sunday 10am – 4pm
  6. pinfog

    pinfog New member

    Jan 1, 2019
    It seems I may be being mislead and LPA has not been signed sealed etc. and that is why I am being denied all contact.
    Thanks for the advice - I just wish I came her a few weeks ago - but now I know where and how to start tomorrow.
    Thanks again
  7. love.dad.but..

    love.dad.but.. Registered User

    Jan 16, 2014
    I sent my own poa for registration first week in October and have been advised that it will come through first 2 weeks January so if your brother sent it only 6 weeks ago I doubt on current timescales that it has been fully registered yet. Phone the OPG in the morning.
    It is possible that she has declined quickly I saw that in my dad but could also be likely partly due to a move to unfamiliar surroundings and fuelled by whatever your brother may be telling her. As others have suggested also a phone call to SS.. . if she is being prevented from returning home by choice with mental capacity to make that decision for herself or without MC being coerced and deprived of her liberty needs proper assessment. Good luck I can only imagine how you must be feeling.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.