1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Dementia with Dentures

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by 4boding, Jun 21, 2015.

1. 4boding

4boding Registered User

Apr 18, 2014
    Dear All,

In addition to the other problem I posted about today, I have the added concern that mum's speech seems to have altered slightly. I wonder if it's in any way connected to her dentures and their upkeep - something I know nothing about and something she was always super private about.

I want to take her to the dentist but am dreading what might come of it. I'm struggling as it is; it's hard enough getting her to wash or change clothes. Does anyone else deal with this (dental issues) and how?

We can't do everything, can we?

Thanks

2. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    Get her referred to a community dentist. They do home visits.

3. 4boding

4boding Registered User

Apr 18, 2014
    That sounds like a promising idea. Thanks.

4. Suzanna1969

Suzanna1969 Registered User

Mar 28, 2015
    Essex
    My Mum put her plate in wrong and I had to take her for an emergency appointment as we couldn't get them out again, they were stuck fast and she couldn't talk properly!

As people age their gums shrink back so it's possible her dentures just don't fit like they used to. If so it's likely to mean she needs a new set I'm afraid.