DEMENTIA TRAINING

caroline63

Jun 6, 2024
Hello everyone My name is Caroline and my husband had a severe stroke followed by a bleed on the brain six years ago. He has very limited movement, shoulder partially out of socket, suprapubically cathetered and now has dementia. I am wondering if anyone can tell me at what training level domiciliary carers have to care for dementia patients as he has so many different carers who seem to have little understanding in this area.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
Hello everyone My name is Caroline and my husband had a severe stroke followed by a bleed on the brain six years ago. He has very limited movement, shoulder partially out of socket, suprapubically cathetered and now has dementia. I am wondering if anyone can tell me at what training level domiciliary carers have to care for dementia patients as he has so many different carers who seem to have little understanding in this area.
❤️ Hello Caroline63

Welome first of all. I am sorry you find yourself here but it is a good place for information and has real true level of understanding from other carers here.

Training mmmm I can only comment for residential care and that is variable. They have training there and people attend the training but like anything and any job some people are better than others. I would think it varies in home care as well. I have been left thinking that a residential place must know more than me and ending up thinking it is the other way around.

My expectations would be for someone to be kind , caring and listen and I would be expecting them to know how to speak to someone with dementia. These days many years on I know what works with my loved one so I am assuming you know too so a person must be able to take on board your training and your views.

How are you? 💗

caroline63

Jun 6, 2024
❤️ Hello Caroline63

Welome first of all. I am sorry you find yourself here but it is a good place for information and has real true level of understanding from other carers here.

Training mmmm I can only comment for residential care and that is variable. They have training there and people attend the training but like anything and any job some people are better than others. I would think it varies in home care as well. I have been left thinking that a residential place must know more than me and ending up thinking it is the other way around.

My expectations would be for someone to be kind , caring and listen and I would be expecting them to know how to speak to someone with dementia. These days many years on I know what works with my loved one so I am assuming you know too so a person must be able to take on board your training and your views.

How are you? 💗
Thank you for your reply and yes that is what I have found too but some carers think they know my husband better than me ! He was always such a kind and thoughtful person but of course he is not that man and gets angry and frustrated when they wash and clean him. Some are understanding but others don’t seem to have a clue about how he is feeling and I just wanted to know if they are trained in how to deal with dementia clients I am doing ok thanks but my heart breaks when I hear him shouting for me when they are seeing to him.