Dementia sufferers need company of loved ones

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
Dementia sufferers need company of loved ones - charity

Alzheimer's Society chief executive Jeremy Hughes said: " After spending time with friends and family over the festive period, New Year can be a bleak and lonely time for people with dementia and their carers. It's so important for people with dementia to feel connected throughout the year.
"Spending time with loved ones and taking part in meaningful activities can have a powerful and positive impact, even if they don't remember the event itself. We're urging people to get in touch with us and find out how we can help you stay connected."

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa...ompany-loved-ones--charity.html#ixzz3w4hROz00

keegan2

Jan 11, 2015
Spoke to a friend about this yesterday. Its true even if O/H is not participating in the social meeting I as a carer need the interaction with other people. Neighbour came over yesterday to give me a bunch of flowers just to cheer me up and stayed for 5 minutes for a chat, it was so lovely and kind of her and very uplifting for me on a difficult day. Even a call, anything is better than nothing. Everyone needs someone at some time and we could be that person one day, whats goes around comes around.....Also if someone does come after along time to visit, don't dwell on how long they took to come over enjoy the company whilst they are there (remember some people don't know what to expect and thats why the have stayed away, don't put them off from coming again....

By the way the neighbour who came over has never been in my house before we have always chatted outside, wonder if she read the newspapers article....the power of the press.........

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
I read it on the BBC website, good to see some of the press got hold of it too and like Keegan and Quilty let's hope it helps to get family and friends round to visit. If the Guardian ran it we might even see a certain family member for the first time in while.

Raggedrobin

Jan 20, 2014
It was in the Independent too but I haven't noticed it in the Guardian. i was just so pleased to read this, because it confirms what I had suspected, that my visits really do make a worthwhile difference to my Mum. And I hope non-visitors read those articles - for example my sister, who said that Mum was 'dead' in her view, even though she is clearly alive and experiences emotions such as happiness on being visited and being with people who are familiar to her.

Jack Stone

Account on hold
Nov 26, 2015

Alzheimer's Society chief executive Jeremy Hughes said: " After spending time with friends and family over the festive period, New Year can be a bleak and lonely time for people with dementia and their carers. It's so important for people with dementia to feel connected throughout the year.
"Spending time with loved ones and taking part in meaningful activities can have a powerful and positive impact, even if they don't remember the event itself. We're urging people to get in touch with us and find out how we can help you stay connected."

Regarding meaningful activities our experience was that these all suddenly stopped.

My sister and I got in touch locally and nationally and we received no help to stay connected in fact our loved one was consigned to exclusion!

We were genuinely looking for support both as carers and parent but this was not forthcoming.

Padraig

Dec 10, 2009
Hereford
I never cease to be amazed by many of the statements I read in relation to Alzheimer's. Nothing could be more obvious than a person suffering with Alzheimer's, even in the end stage have the sense of being wanted. Because someone can no longer speak or move about for themselves, does not mean they lack feelings. Strange how we 'know' they feel pain and ply them with medication.

From what I read, it appears that when a loved one reaches a certain stage, an accepted procedure kicks in. The stage I referred to is, when they are bedridden, lost weight, have bed sores, can no longer speak or move their limbs. All I can say is: thank God I never listened to so called advice, and tackled Alzheimer's in my own way. Had I listened to others and accepted palliative care from a MacMillan Nurse, my late wife and I would not have recovered to share a further four years and nine months.

Sorry I feel so sad to read how some people believe that the person in the final stages are incapable of feeling the love of the person closest to them.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011

Regarding meaningful activities our experience was that these all suddenly stopped.

My sister and I got in touch locally and nationally and we received no help to stay connected in fact our loved one was consigned to exclusion!

We were genuinely looking for support both as carers and parent but this was not forthcoming.
Now is the time to get in touch Jack - perfect timing for you!