Dementia Stories to Make you Laugh!!!

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Now straight away - controversy - am I laughing at people?

Well let's establish this first - NO!

I am NOT taking the pee re: someone's distress... no matter how 'silly' it looks to others - I can assure you, I care to much for that... I would NEVER belittle someone's fears and anxieties...

So what's it about then?

Okay... as you know I was a former Nursing Assistant, an now a Student Nurse and soon to be a Mental Health Nurse (hopefully, depending on qualifying) - so this to me is a thread specifically related to People with dementia and the laughter SHARED between them and others.

Here's my observations:

One thing I always noticed in dementia care, and also envied, is when the Person with dementia comments on something... often brutally honestly!

At first, it took me aback - but then I thought: "I wish I could say what I thought 100% without fear of reprisal"

One I remember was a patient I looked after who was obviously a natural comedian - he once said to the Sister:

"Here she is... she looks like a film star"

"Really?" said she, blushing, "which one?"

"Ruddy Jaws!" said he with a mischievous twinkle and wry grin as she walked away!

Another regarded a lady who was to have her hair done by the hairdresser:
"She's not touching me," said she, "look at her - auld Strawhead there... how can she cut hair when she looks like that, the scruffy mare!"

Finally... this ine is down to misinterpretatation more than anything, but to be honest, I was doubled up when I left the ward!

I was sat with two patients, Eric and Frank.
I had a copy of 'Take A Break' magazine, and was flicking through, when I noticed a photo of two Labrador pups - one Golden, one Black.

Now being 'dog crazy' I made numerous comments on these and on my own two beloved dogs... I then showed Frank the photo:

"Which do you like best?" I asked.

Frank, who couldn't communicate verbally, smiled and pointed at the black one.

"And what about you Eric?" I asked.

Straight away, Eric pointed at the Golden one and said:

"That one... I only ever ate one before but I LOVED IT - talk about juicy?"

And he winked at me!

The conversation continued, but to this day, I have no idea as to what he thought the photo was (I don't assume he'd eaten a Labrador) - but that doesn't matter to me - we had a good long conversation, enjoyed one another's company... and, I have to say, I laughed like a drain when I got home!

:D

SO those are a few things that I found myself to 'lol' at - come on folks - tell your story!

N.

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Another tale which is true and I share with people shows that no-one's memory is perfect!

Now - here's a thing... my memory for learning is excellent... I sat an exam and started learning three days before the actual exam.

I sat it and passed.

Score? An unbelievable 97%!!!

Now, I'm not putting this here to brag, although I was obviously impressed with this achievement!

So why am I sharing this?

Well... a short while after, I was driving home from work and had to nip into the local 'Co-Op' (approx. 3 mins. walk away from my home.

I nipped in to collect the milk and few groceries that were required and then walked home quite happily.

I then went in and made a cup of tea before thinking:
"I think I've left my Library Books in the car"

And do you know - I had!

But... I'd also left the car... yep - near the Co-Op!

So I had to walk back to get it and park it up outside!

How do I feel about that?

Well... I don't mind... I simply forgot, and had a good laugh about it!

And I often share that story with people... just to show that none of us are perfect... we all forget and make mistakes!

That to me is excellent for sharing with people with memory problems - it illustrates that none of us are infallible, and that memory can 'throw us' at any time!

So think folks - are we all infallible?

Have you NEVER forgotten anyything - don't answer straight away... you may have forgotten - give it time!

I'm looking forward to the replies here - come on folks, let's share the Laughter!

N.

May

Oct 15, 2005
Yorkshire
OK... a shared laugh with Mum the other day. You know the way words start to get mixed up, she always asks me what I've done in the day, the reply is usually 'I've been to work'. So we went through this routine the other day, but she added another question, 'Do you get a salad?' realised what she had said but couldn't find the right word, salary, which Dad then supplied for her. But the ...nicest.. thing was, she laughed (where she normally would get upset) and we were still giggling five minutes later! Bliss.... :)

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
May said:
But the ...nicest.. thing was, she laughed (where she normally would get upset) and we were still giggling five minutes later! Bliss.... :)

That's great - I love it when that happens!

:)

There's nothing better than sharing humour... if ever someone's said something that's been mixed up I'd do what your Dad did... it's something we all do from time to time anyway - good grief, "The Two Ronnies" did loads of excellent sketches based on wordplay!

Many thanks for sharing that May - appreciated.

N.

Shakey1961a

Nov 7, 2004
Southport
Don't know if I've already mentioned, but the other day Mum looked at me and smiled then said "Hey, Give you a laugh...." then proceed to mumble away them burst out in a giggle. God only knows what she was thinking of, but it was so heart warming to see her smile and giggle.

frederickgt

Jun 4, 2005
Hornchurch,Essex
tomake yu laugh

I may have told this before,Anna and I were having an argument about bedtime,when she angrily said "If you dont shut up,I'll cut off your head and throw it in the fishpond!",when i told my daughter Sarah this,she said "There she is improving then" when I asked for an explanation Sarah said "Well she remembers we have a fishpond!"

Last edited:

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Today I was crawling on the floor as usual in my visits with Jan, in a room off the lounge.

Outside, in the lounge, a lovely West Indian lady who comes in on respite came into the room. She sat down and I heard a few very weird conversational exchanges between her and the others in the room at the time.

Because I was there, the staff on duty had taken a five minute smoking break outside.

When the first staff member came back in she said "[name] is sitting on [second lady, very small]! Help me get her off". The others dashed in.

Three of them then said to the first lady "we are just going to move you because you are sitting on [second lady]".

Trouble is, when people want to move you and you are nice and comfortable, you don't always listen - and of course with dementia patients, they can't always understand anyhow.

The next thing I heard was the first lady shouting "Murder! Murder!"

Fortunately, the second lady was not harmed by someone four times her size sitting on her for five minutes!

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
Greetings

My wife went through a period of time when she would call me a "Baster-****" usually 10-12 times a day for no apparent reason but she also would call anyone who she felt uncomfortable with the same thing. I would especially get a good laugh when My wife would call the visiting nurse or doctor the same name. I would tell them they were officially a member of "Barb's Baster-**** Club" with all privelidges. - McK

cynron

Sep 26, 2005
east sussex
Dancing

My husband was telling our cpn about how he dances with the ladies at the day centre. "and does your wife get jealous" the nurse asked. "No she's not there" he replied. we all had a good laugh at this and imagined the scence as most of the ladies walk with walking sticks anyway.

Cynron ;) ;)

Jude

Dec 11, 2003
Tully, Qld, Australia
Hi All,

My father [who was a Science and Maths teacher] has a habit of relating in numerical terms.

If I ask him how he feels on a given day, he often says 'I'm 15/16th's up to par today' or 'My memory is the square root of nothing this afternoon'.

Because I was a complete failure at Maths, it was always very embarrassing to have a father with brain like a steel trap for numbers. He could add up columns of figures in his head and was always 110% correct. [Still can, actually.] Every Sunday lunch from when I was 5-10 years of age, Dad would ask me the same question, because I could never get it right! 'If a herring and a half cost a penny halfpenny, how much do six cost?' This completely ruined my digestion for years......! Thank God for decimalisation and my mother, who finally took pity on me and told me the right answer.

I asked my father this question last year, just as a little test of HIS memory. His answer was, 'For God's sake Judith, haven't you worked that out YET?'

Jude

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Many thanks for all this... I've just been having a good titter at them - especially the coffee/glasses one!!!

Here's one I recall when at a day centre not long ago:

We were talking about old Lancashire expressions and words and phrases that weren't often heard nowadays... this generated a group discussion which I was happy to add too, as I have always been 'old headed' and as such, know and use a lot of these colloquiallisms: ask me again what the following mean - 'warch', 'maisie bout', 'mither', scrawp', 'fettle', 'chunner' etc. etc.

So we all had a good old laugh with this.

One lady said:

"My husband - he always said about someone daft - 'If that feller's brain's were dynamite... he wouldn't have enough to blow his bl**dy hat off'"

We all had a good laugh at this... but as the conversations continued, she said it again.

And again...

Well, you get the picture... although she had forgotten telling us this, the whole scenario kept reminding her and she'd tell it again.

Now I have no probs. with that... because it fascinates me that each time something is repeated, there can be slight changes in how it's presented even though the context is usually the same.

But for many of the Members there... they were cringing... one lady said:
"Jesus! If she says that once more, I'm going to start skriking!"
And we carried on...

And Mrs. Dynamite (not her real name obviously) said...

"Here - I bet you've never heard this one - do you know what my husband used to say...?"

N.

Norman

Oct 9, 2003
Birmingham Hades
Neil
the first time I heard the dynamite one it was told by Stan Boardman at a Police concert.
He didn't get many laughs for that one!!
Norman

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Norman said:
Neil
the first time I heard the dynamite one it was told by Stan Boardman at a Police concert.
He didn't get many laughs for that one!!
Norman

Now you tell me - I modelled meself on him for technique!!!

No wonder I got no bookings!

Maybe that's why I'm known on the circuit as 'Tumbleweed' Baxter - the only comedian to get a minute's silence for all me jokes - respect indeed!

N.

P.S. "Ey... the Jaaaaarmans ar kummin' - arr ey!"

basil

Jan 24, 2006
West Sussex
Memorable Last Words.

Hi All,
Hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I am very low at the moment as my brother's doctors say he is likely to go at any time now. I thought sharing this with you might make me feel a bit better... We'll see.

This relates to the final words he was able to say before he completely lost the ability to speak, and it probably won't make sense unless you are familiar with "Smokey & the Bandit" films, which were always his favourites.

The nurses were preparing to move him up the bed a little, and one of them asked "Ready?"
He replied "Born ready"

This makes me both laugh and cry.

Basil

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Basil,

So sorry to hear about your brother. I'm not familiar with the film, but although your brother cannot speak, maybe those are the words that he is still speaking in his heart.

I don't know why you should think anyone might be offended, we are all here doing our best to support one another.

Take care Basil. You and your brother are in my thoughts.
Amy

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Basil, don't know the film, but realise where the words are coming from. Your brother sounds a wonderful person.
Take care now, love Connie

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Many thanks for sharing that Basil, especially at this difficult time for you.

I haven't seen that film in ages.... you (or shall we say your brother) has made me want to see it again now.

In fact... if those are his last words (not wishing them to be you understand) then they're excellent...

Who was it whose famous last words were '****** Bognor'?

Aha - found it... hang on:

Concerned with keeping his royal patient’s spirits up, the King’s physician reportedly suggests, “Your Majesty will soon be well enough to visit Bognor.”

The King replies, “****** Bognor,” and promptly dies.

Hope you don't mind me sharing that... it always did make me lol!

Take care.

N.