Dementia, 'sectioning' and the Mental Health Act - Podcast, October 2015

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
If health professionals think that a person with dementia is behaving in a way that places their health at risk or is a danger to themselves or others, they can be detained in hospital under Section 2 of the Mental Health Act (1983) so that they can be assessed. This process is often known as sectioning or being sectioned, and is often a challenging time for the person with dementia and their families.

As the term 'sectioning' often has negative connotations, in this podcast we will be referring to the process of placing someone under a section of the Mental Health Act.

In this edition of the podcast, Hannah speaks to Helpline Adviser Emma about the Mental Health Act, guardianship and after-care services.

Video updated: May 2021

Last edited:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Nico18.

This is a very old thread and the link in that post is no longer working. I think this is the video -

Now that you have joined the forum you might want to think about starting a thread of your own. Perhaps in the I Care For A Person With Dementia Area-

I’m sure you will find lots of help and support here.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hello @Flashbang
a warm welcome to posting on DTP

I'm not sure how medical notes are organised .... maybe it is chronological order so your diagnosis may not be the most recent medical test/treatment

if the medics are missing the fact that you have a diagnosis, maybe ask that it is clearly marked on the front of your notes ... I believe some hospitals have symbols to show some specific conditions so all staff will notice that information

jfhn05020

Apr 19, 2024
I cannot get this to play can anyone help please? My darling mum is about to be sectioned for the second time Could you please confirm if I'm going in the right direction?
I think they've already replaced it with the correct