Dementia relaxtion techniques

jojo44

Jul 11, 2014
Lancashire
My colleague supports a lady who has memory loss problems and I notice that she can become frustrated and almost aggravated with this – she says sometimes she talks to herself in her head and then its like someone answering her back . This is turn gives her headache and coupled with this she has tinnitus which seems to make this worse too.
Are there any recognised relaxation techniques that the lady and her family could use?

thank you

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello jojo

Welcome to Talking Point. :)

I wish there were known relaxation techniques to help those with dementia . It would solve so many problems.

This does`t mean there aren`t any, it just means there are many different strategies and we learn them by trial and error.

For my husband , it was soothing music . I also used to rub his temples with a herbal essence of lemon balm called Melissa. These helped when he agreed to be helped but not at other times.

I`m sure others living with dementia have different remedies and I hope you find something to help.

momanddadalz

Jul 12, 2014
Montreal, Canada
" it was soothing music " i agree with the previous poster, my parents appreciate classical/peacefull music. I plan to had pet therapy soon since i realized recently that my mom also joined the dementia team.
All the best !

jojo44

Jul 11, 2014
Lancashire
" it was soothing music " i agree with the previous poster, my parents appreciate classical/peacefull music. I plan to had pet therapy soon since i realized recently that my mom also joined the dementia team.
All the best !

Thank'you I will past both replies to the lady and her family :)

yoyo

Sep 22, 2012
I've thought of trying something, mum likes getting her hair don by me I've always done it since I was 10. also likes her hands being groomed. I have a friend who does Reiki and will try this when she gets back off holiday. When mum gets anxious with the sundowning then I don't think anything will help but I hope it might slow that process down, currently she deteriorates from noon onwards. no drugs have worked up to now, we are just trying yet another, its just so horrid to see her and I would love to find something that worked as I'm sure you all would.
I have reluctantly moved mum into a home, broken my heart but I know she is the same there as she is at home, the only nice thing is she knows my name now, I used to be either of her sisters, mum of the nurse.
we are going through a down turn at the moment, but I have to say I have changed my mind on care home, while they'll never come up to my standards they take good care of mum and have caught the essence of her, we had a few weeks of her being very entertaining, but thats gone now and the anxiety has taken over again. I am not beaten and have opened a lottery account called get nanny out !! and if i win she'll be home with me again, I'll keep you posted about the reiki x