Dementia plus immobility

jagger

Aug 3, 2015
Hi
We have been caring for my Mum who is now 92 for seven years living independently with dementia. She recently fell and has now had three operations on her hip the last one being a girdlestone procedure where they 'removed' her hip. This is because her dementia prevented her from remembering that she can't walk properly so kept dislocating her 'new'hip. She is still in hospital two months nearly and we are told we must find a care home. Does anyone have knowledge or experience of this in the west mids area please?

nellbelles

Volunteer Host
Nov 6, 2008
leicester
Hi
We have been caring for my Mum who is now 92 for seven years living independently with dementia. She recently fell and has now had three operations on her hip the last one being a girdlestone procedure where they 'removed' her hip. This is because her dementia prevented her from remembering that she can't walk properly so kept dislocating her 'new'hip. She is still in hospital two months nearly and we are told we must find a care home. Does anyone have knowledge or experience of this in the west mids area please?

Jagger welcome to TP, but sorry that circumstances have meant you have had to join us.

I have no personal knowledge of CH's in your area, I hope some one local to you can PM (private message) you details of CH's.

I wonder if your local social services should be called in for a full assessment of needs before she is discharged from hospital. Please keep in touch with us.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi jagger, welcome to TP
I'd be straight on to your local social services and get an assessment done. Don't let the hospital dump it on you, don't do anything or agree to anything until an assessment has been done and a plan has been put in place. I'm sure it would suit the hospital if you sort it out or take her home with you but it looks like it's gone past that stage now.
You'll need to do a search for "Adult Dementia Assessment" and the name of the local authority (I looked but there are a few, B'ham, Dudley, Walsall so I can't post you a link).
Basically you need to get her in the system and in the meantime I'd be very cool in my relationship with the hospital, they shouldn't be telling you to find a home for her, there are systems in place to help people in her situation and they're not palm it off on the family, I'm amazed they even said it.
K