Dementia Patient WOnt Swallow

pvlady

May 23, 2020
My mother's nursing home phoned my about 10 days ago to tell my94 year old mother with late stage alzheimers had fallen and hit her head but was OK, just a small cut to which they had attended. At that time I asked them why the previus day when I asked asked for a picture, the one they sent showed her in bed at 4:40 pm. That is early even for her. They said she had "not been herself" the past few days and that she had a sight fever the week before for 2 days, but it went away. I asked if they had check for COVID, and they said no, as she had no symptoms. THe next day they said she had a yeast infection which they had discovered while changing her pull-up and were giving her medicine which should clear that up and she would be fine. At that time they mentioned that she was not eating or drinking and would just spit her food out. THey attributed it to the yeast infection. The next day I got another phone call that they were taking her to the hospital as she was in respiratory distress. I followed up with the hospital and they said she was having trouble breating and her heartrate was 150. They believe the high heart rate and respiratory problems were from dehydration. Two days later the heart rate and blood pressure were normal, but she still won't eat anything. One nurse said she is hard to rouse. Another said she is alert but won't talk. I am only allowed to speak with the nurse that is treating her. No one there can give information. Depending which nurse iw working, you get a different report. I was told on Tuesday that she would probably go back to the nursing home the next day, then nothing happened. I was told the same thing on Wednesday and THursday. She is int he COVID ward as wneh she got the hospital she tested positive, but they say she still has no symptoms. I don't think she has eaten more than a few mouthfuls of food or a couple of sips of fluids in almost 2 weeks. It is hard to find out anything since I haven't been allowed into the nursing home since March 15, and am not allowed into the hospital to see her. I feel that she is dying from end stage alzheimers and feel helpless to do anthing.

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Welcome to the forum @pvlady Sorry to hear that your mum is so ill. It's really hard and stressful when you're trying to find out information from the hospital but can't get a proper response and aren't able to visit either. I think you need to speak to your mum's consultant but that might be difficult during the weekend when they tend to have less doctors available. It would be worth contacting the hospital PALS team on Monday to explain that you are having problems getting information from the ward and they will hopefully be able to help. Sorry not to be much help but please keep posting as there's lots of support here.

Just me

Nov 17, 2013
I’m sorry to hear about your mum @pvlady and the difficulties getting information from hospital staff and can imagine the stress and worry this is causing you.

My mum was admitted to A&E last week, (now back home) and it took from 9.30 pm to 2.00 am to get someone to answer the phone to find out what was happening (still in A&E waiting for scan results). When she was transferred to a ward, the staff nurse looking after told me she couldn’t give me any information on the phone! When I said I had POA for health she asked what that was!

It was a truly horrible situation to be in, no one would tell me what was happening and at the core my poor mum was on her own, frightened and unable to understand what was happening or able to explain how she felt.

I agree with @Louise7 about trying to speak with the consultant, if he isn’t available I’d ask to speak to the next in line doctor. If things haven’t resolved then try PALS to see what they can do.

I know we are in the grip of this horrible virus but there seems to be a lack of compassion and understanding in certain quarters.

I hope you get a speedy resolution.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sandrah1952