Dementia or Something else?

Jacob S.

Oct 22, 2020
So, My mother has been recently acting super weird, Like she has some memory problems where she cant tell the difference between her imagination and reality, for example she claims i did something i never even remember or events that never happened, and wakes up in middle of the night saying "i see you" or "i know what youre doing" when im just watching movie or im in kitchen getting some water, then she also "talks" to some people over phone but she is not really calling anyone just having conversation with no one but herself she also acts like someone was on visit there, same as with the phone theres no one. When i ask which who is she talking with she says some complete nonsense like "You" or "Why do you care?" or i get no answer at all. Then she claims that there will be events that will never happen like someone going over for visit, her buying a new dog (despite our flat rules not allowing more than 1 animal and we already have 1) and many other stuff, She also has nearly fully understandable conversations when she is asleep, then she is sometimes also in half sleep half awake thing where she will get very easily woke up. She is also overprotective over me and thinks i have mental abillity of 5 years old and cant be alone for a while, and wont allow me to be alone for a single minute, but im not really concerned about that since she did it since i remember and im just putting it in this because i dont know if it will help or no. She also has some anxiety dissorder and takes Xanax (i believe its called) and smokes daily 3-6 cigs, and sometimes drinks entire bottle of wine in one sitting. She also gets extremely easy angry at me for no reason or the slightest thing like putting a chair in the wrong corner of room.

Also sorry for grammar because im very stressed at the moment i write this, and english is my second language

I will tell more details if needed.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @Jacob S.
a warm welcome to DTP

some of what you write sounds familiar ... however no-one here can diagnose for you and there are other reasons for someone having symptoms similar to those involved with dementia eg stress, vitamin deficiency, depression
so I suggest you send a letter to your mum's GP describing the changes you see in her behaviour, with specific examples, and outlining your concerns ... then, next time the GP sees your mum they can check her over eg the flu season is here and your mum might qualify for the flu jab, or the GP could invite her for a well woman check-up

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Jacob S. and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. From what you say your mother may have dementia, but only a proper investigation doctors could confirm that. The best thing is to try and get her to see her regular doctor. I'm not sure if you are in the UK, but if you are write to the GP outlining the things you've said here and asking if they could call your mum in for a check up. They won't be able to talk to you directly unless your mum gives them permission, but it will get things started. In the meantime do you have Power of Attorney to help her manage her affairs? If you are in the UK you find out more at Lasting Power of Attorney.

If your mum is drinking a lot of wine a lot of the time it might be a good idea to try and get her to scale back, even if it means watering it down or substituting it for a low alcohol brand. Alcohol doesn't go well with dementia, and from a quick look on the internet xanax and alcohol don't mix very well either.

I'm sure others will be along in a minute with more advice. This is a very friendly place and you'll get lots of support and advice.