Dementia or old age??

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Dear Good People,

Hope you’re all surviving these new times re: Covid. Strange and difficult especially with a loved one with dementia.

I have a question. Background- Mum had dementia for 10-12yrs and died last Oct 94yrs. Dad looked after her then visited 3 times / week in a nursing home. He’s now on his own and is doing badly. No family bar me, not in U.K. He is nearly blind due to Macular Degeneration and losing his hearing too. When I speak him he’s ok , but not right. Friends have said there’s something going on. Covid hasn’t helped either. I’m wondering if it’s depression or dementia or old age- 89yrs in Jan .

I’ve now been granted POW & POA ,came as a bit of a shock, but was expecting it ,eventually.

I’m hoping ??to get home in the next 2 weeks. Is it time for SS.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks for listening.

Stay safe and strong you good people. xx

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
Hello @garfield3 . I was just looking through your previous posts. I imagine your Dad is rather lonely and, with the problems with his hearing and sight, finding life quite difficult. I hope you are able to visit him and take a view on how he is then. How would he react to having care visits, do you think?

garfield3

Jun 30, 2018
Hello @garfield3 . I was just looking through your previous posts. I imagine your Dad is rather lonely and, with the problems with his hearing and sight, finding life quite difficult. I hope you are able to visit him and take a view on how he is then. How would he react to having care visits, do you think?

Thanks ever so much for your reply. Yes, you’re right about getting the lay of the land when I see him. It’s just stressing me out at the moment. Don’t know how he’ll take to the idea of SS. Could go either way. Hey - ho, that’s life sometimes. You need to roll with the punches.

lemonbalm

May 21, 2018
It must be very stressful when you are so far away, particularly now. I wonder if you could introduce the idea of care in disguise as local people/friends who need a job and make your Dad feel as though he is helping them out. Our parents come from an age when asking for, or accepting, help was seen as weakness, and his pride and dignity will be left intact this way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix