Dementia - Mom

fallcolors2021##

Sep 17, 2021
My mother leans to the left while sitting in her chair. Recently, she had a nasty fall and fractured her humerus. Since, the fall she hasn't been able to stand or sit up. I was wondering if this is coming from her dementia or if the hospital missed something. By the way, initially, she was told she wouldn't need surgery for the fracture and unfortunately, four weeks later she just endured trauma surgery to re[pair the fractured and no weight on this injury for two months. We are so concerned about our mother who is 86.

Palerider

Aug 9, 2015
North West
My mother leans to the left while sitting in her chair. Recently, she had a nasty fall and fractured her humerus. Since, the fall she hasn't been able to stand or sit up. I was wondering if this is coming from her dementia or if the hospital missed something. By the way, initially, she was told she wouldn't need surgery for the fracture and unfortunately, four weeks later she just endured trauma surgery to re[pair the fractured and no weight on this injury for two months. We are so concerned about our mother who is 86.
Hi @Briggs8283

Its hard to tell, but at 86 your mum with dementia is likely very frail. My mums last fall involved fortunately only a fractured thumb, but it was enough to knock her off her feet for a week, which was worrying as there is hardly anything left of her as it is (she stopped eating properly a year ago now). Als an an anaesthetic will have had some effect no doubt, I dread my mum having to have one as the last time she had serious problems and that was 6 years ago.

Things do knock older people back such as falls and the dementia adds to that. If your concerned and if you think she may have injured elsewhere no harm in getting in touch with the GP and discussing exploring that. She may recover, but I find as time goes by and I have become more used to this side of things its wise to accept that they may not.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Hullo and welcome, @Briggs8283. Oddly enough my partner has vascular dementia and also leans a lot to the left while dozing on her chair. I'm not sure if it is related or not. Sorry your mother has so much pain and problems from her fracture to add to the confusion of dementia. I have no particular advice to offer, just empathy and reassurance you will find support here. I hope your mother makes a good recovery.

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
its weird but my husband has vascular dementia and he has weakness on his left side[dominant side] and tends to lean and wobble when walking to the left. just read both your posts and realization has dawned. his hand and foot shakes on the left as well

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joanne Formby