Dementia & mobility

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
I was just wondering if anyone else suffers with mobility problems & if it could be linked to early onset dementia? Only I have a problem with my left leg which means I often trip & stumble. Getting in & out of the car is awkward. Yet some days it seems fine?
I’m waiting for our memory clinic appointment so that I can ask as I’ve only just been told I have FTD & have lots of questions. Thanks in advance :)

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Definitely mention this to your neurologist.
My OH has FTD and also mobility problems. Apparently they are often related. You would need further tests for a proper diagnosis, though.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Definitely mention this to your neurologist.
My OH has FTD and also mobility problems. Apparently they are often related. You would need further tests for a proper diagnosis, though.
Thanks @canary its not something I considered before but I’m now wondering if there’s a link between the two! Do you mind me asking how old your partner was when diagnosed & how he/she is doing now?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We are still in early stages @PJ
OH was 60yrs old when diagnosed with FTD and he is now 63, so it is progressing quite slowly. He is still at home, able to shower and dress himself. He has, unfortunately, lost a lot of his abilities, not working (he took medical retirement) and has been told he should not drive, but he is still able to use his android tablet and do things like gardening with help. We have both taken up bird-watching.

The mobility problems started soon after diagnosis and I first noticed hand tremor, that he was tripping over nothing and he kept dropping things. There are several mobility problems that can go with FTD (and similar conditions) and OHs neurologist isnt entirely sure which one he has got. It has also been complicated by the fact that he has had a stroke.

Mobility-wise he now needs a stick (I bought him a beautiful hand-made one with a silver collar and he looks very dashing with it) and if there is a fair amount of walking involved he has a 4 wheeled rollator with a seat. He has quite a lot of muscle wastage, so he tires easily.

It has been coming on pretty slowly in OHs case and given us both a chance to adapt.

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
We are still in early stages @PJ
OH was 60yrs old when diagnosed with FTD and he is now 63, so it is progressing quite slowly. He is still at home, able to shower and dress himself. He has, unfortunately, lost a lot of his abilities, not working (he took medical retirement) and has been told he should not drive, but he is still able to use his android tablet and do things like gardening with help. We have both taken up bird-watching.

The mobility problems started soon after diagnosis and I first noticed hand tremor, that he was tripping over nothing and he kept dropping things. There are several mobility problems that can go with FTD (and similar conditions) and OHs neurologist isnt entirely sure which one he has got. It has also been complicated by the fact that he has had a stroke.

Mobility-wise he now needs a stick (I bought him a beautiful hand-made one with a silver collar and he looks very dashing with it) and if there is a fair amount of walking involved he has a 4 wheeled rollator with a seat. He has quite a lot of muscle wastage, so he tires easily.

It has been coming on pretty slowly in OHs case and given us both a chance to adapt.
Your experience sounds promising 3yrs in & it’s been a slow progression which like you said gives you both chance to adapt. I’m so sorry your OH had a stroke as well. I can’t begin to imagine how difficult it must have made things.
Good to hear you’re enjoying life & bird watching! I’ve recently taken to feeding all the birds that visit our garden :)
Thank you for your time x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I’ve recently taken to feeding all the birds that visit our garden
Yes, us too.
Do you have any binoculars? If not its worth getting a fairy cheap pair as its so much easier to see the birds with them.
Armed with a couple of bird books and a pair of binoculars its amazing what you can see from the comfort of your own home :D

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Yes, us too.
Do you have any binoculars? If not its worth getting a fairy cheap pair as its so much easier to see the birds with them.
Armed with a couple of bird books and a pair of binoculars its amazing what you can see from the comfort of your own home :D
I think we have some binoculars somewhere :) I will have to find them. The weathers been beautiful here today & there have been lots of birds in our garden.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Yes its been beautiful here too. There have been lots of different finches coming down to feed and I think there are a pair of dunnocks nesting in our rosemary bush

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hi @canary your garden sounds nice & busy with birds :)
I have an appointment Fri morning with my gp re: weakness in my left leg as it’s been worse the past few wks. She has suggested a check up & poss a scan to see what’s happening.
How is your hubby doing? I hope all is well x

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Things seem to be relatively stable at the moment PJ
Sorry your leg has been getting worse. It sounds like a scan might be a good idea