Dementia in France advice

Sallymay

Feb 12, 2015
Hi!

I have a distant relative who is a long term resident in France. It has been clear that she has dementia for some years. She lives alone in a remote farmhouse, has no children and has no relatives in France. She is insight-less into her illness and is at increasing risk of self neglect, unwise decisions and financial abuse. She has been managed by an informal system of carers, whom she regularly sacks. The situation is heading for a disaster.

I think she needs to have a guardian appointed to make medical and legal decisions for her as she is no longer legally competent, and possibly arrange for her to be admitted to a dementia specific facility (or at least get organised in home help and follow-up). As she has no family able to do this in France, is anyone aware of how to go about organising a French state guardian, and the implications. She does see doctors from time to time, but I don't know if they have diagnosed her with dementia formally (as there is no one there to push this), but there is no doubt she has dementia . I have little contact with her, and it is possible that my attempts at communication are being thwarted by those in a position to exploit her financial assets.

Alternatively, any one have any thoughts on a process for compelling her to return to UK for care, though she has no particular ties or place to return to.

If anyone does know, what is the name of the process for applying for a guardian and what organisation helps with this, how can I find them on the internet.

Tricky situation. Or just wait for the disaster?

Thank you for reading this
Sally

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm sorry to hear about your relative. I'm afraid I have no personal experience to help here but I had a look at this site -

http://www.alz.org/care/

I see it has a section on legal matters but I don't know if it will have the information you need. I know there are several members who either live abroad or who have relatives abroad. I hope some of them will be along to share their experience with you soon.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
"... what is the name of the process for applying for a guardian and what organisation helps with this..."

Have a read of >>>THIS<<<

As regards returning to the UK she will be subject to an >>>Habitual Residence Test<<< in order to claim benefits.

What nationality is she English, French, or dual?

Sallymay

Feb 12, 2015
Thank you for your replies; I think she is probably British, but I am not sure.

Sally

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
UK citizenship will help with the residency test but even then it's a minefield, Google things like returning expat benefits to get a flavour of peoples' experiences.

Some expats I know in France retain membership of something like a golf club in the UK and when in the UK make sure they play in a competition where their name is recorded.