Dementia Friends in class - new resources for young people

SerenaS

Staff Member
Apr 7, 2011
London
A third of young people know someone with dementia. With over two million people developing dementia in the next ten years, it's likely the majority of today's young people will know someone affected by the condition in their lifetime.

Our video:

[video=youtube;N9e3ra3uvik]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9e3ra3uvik[/video]

Why does this matter?

By educating young people about dementia we can create a dementia-friendly generation. Young people will have increased confidence and understanding when communicating with people with dementia, helping to reduce social isolation and stigma for those living with dementia.

As well as the positive impact on people living with dementia today, increasing young people's understanding of dementia will have long term benefits as they approach adulthood and become the carers, social workers, researchers, employers and adults of tomorrow. Their understanding will create dementia-friendly communities, helping people to live well with dementia.

Find out more

You can find dementia information for children and teenagers on our website:
www.alzheimers.org.uk/youngpeople

What do you think?

Please share your thoughts below. :)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm in a cafe (surprise!) so I can't listen to it just now. I've put the link on my Facebook page to see if any of my former staff make a comment about it. I'll let you know.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s excellent and wonder if it is being circulated to all LEAs .

Children and young teens are keen to be treated with respect and if given the information will take it on board.