1. Taz OCAD

Taz OCAD Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    Hello,

I would like to ask your experiences in any modifications you might done to the house where a person with dementia live in.

Is there any changes required for bathrooms, kitchen, stairs, or any other rooms or design details.

your reply is highly appreciated.

2. Kevinl

Kevinl Registered User

Aug 24, 2013
    Salford
    Dementia has different needs depending on if it is combined with other physical symptoms or not. Dementia with mobility means not putting the bleach near the mouthwash (like I did recently, lucky she couldn't open the screw cap). As the condition usually comes with age then bathrooms may need modifying but then they may with age anyway. Dementia with limited mobility or declining mobility is a different issue.
    K

3. Taz OCAD

Taz OCAD Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    Thanks Kevinl,
    That is helpful, but I am wondering; if anyone needs to change the colours of house because the patient might get agitated because of colours, or locked doors.
    what about the safety choices in kitchen, stove, microwaves...etc?

4. Taz OCAD

Taz OCAD Registered User

Jan 21, 2015
    What are the effect of light on a person with dementia?

5. balloo

balloo Registered User

Sep 21, 2013
    northamptonshire
    I came up with one yesterday am goig to change colour of toilet roll as mother in law cannot see it very well as its white on white tiles so this week going to try different colour .