Dementia friendly/helpful items or equipment.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I've not seen a post before about items people have bought to make life easier for dementia sufferers. And when you start on the road of dementia and the problems it incurs we are new at it. I would like for every one to share anything that they have bought that is helpful and could be helpful to others.
I bought a Flipper TV remote that only has 6 large buttons on it as the ordinary remote was to complicated. It has 6 large buttons with just the few things that are needed. Volume control, change the channel , mute and an on off button. It can be tuned in to the TV and a satellite box together so that when you turn it on it turns them both on and off at the same time and you just have 1 remote instead of 2. It has saved a great deal of stress.
The other thing was we needed a new fridge/ freezer and I purchased one with an in built alarm that starts to sound when the door is left open. I didn't know these were available and our fridge door was constantly being left open.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I bought mum a telephone from RNIB, as she is registered blind. It has four large buttons and everything else is covered over so it is out of sight, one button for me, one for my brother etc. It would be good for all dementia sufferers I think, even if they have full sight (my mum won't use it of course, but hey ho!)

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe
I like the sound of the phone, it's something myOH may be able to use in an emergency. What make is it.

Quilty

Aug 28, 2014
GLASGOW
The best thing I bought was a clock which showed the day and date as well as the time, in big characters. This helped with some of the confusion and is still useful in the care home where Mums VasD & Az is moderate to severe.

fizzie

Jul 20, 2011
Post it notes - with limited use so not on overload these helped my Ma remain independent at a very low cost. I used them for low level help eg a note on the front door. Please don't go out now, I will be back very soon and will miss having a cup of tea with you. Wait for me!!

And Turn the TV on I will be back soon

and all sorts of other bits

Toddleo

Oct 7, 2015
I like the sound of the phone, it's something myOH may be able to use in an emergency. What make is it.

http://shop.rnib.org.uk/accessible-...s/corded-home-phone/doro-phoneeasy-319ph.html

This is it angieballs, that "flap bit" clicks down over the key pad, so when the phone is sitting on the side you only see the four large buttons on the right. I have personalised mum's with very large bold capital lettters and not photos because of her vision.

angiebails

Oct 8, 2009
crewe

TooHard

Sep 16, 2015
It is, I think, too late for my mum to learn how to use a new remote control; what I'd really like is an invention that stops it getting lost. I've used a LOT of insulating tape to attach elastic to the back of the remote and safety pinned it to the arm of her chair. Because she is also almost blind it was impossible for her to find it when it was misplaced/ dropped/ hidden. So far this has worked. The loss of the ability to use the remote control is slowly robbing mum of her only real pleasure (watching tv) - she can't watch any channel with 2 digits, can't use the up and down channel button and can't, without a phone call from me, remember when her favourite programmes are on.

A couple of items from the RNIB catalogue have been useful: the "day" clock (all it does is show what day it is) and a talking cube which tells the time when you hit the yellow button. These have been useful so far but mum is struggling to remember she has them. Although they're intended for people with visual impairment they can also be invaluable for people with dementia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968