Dementia friendly cinema....

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
One afternoon this week we're going to see The Theory of Everything at a cinema near us.

A friend told me about this showing, which is being put on especially for people with Dementia related difficulties. Carers go free, and it's open to anyone, but the auditorium won't be completely dark, and the audience will be asked to be understanding if anyone talks or wanders about etc.

I think it's a new idea, and is being trialled in a town near us as part of its plan to become Dementia friendly.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Goodness. That's amazing. I've never heard of that. I'm take Bill to see the Hotel Marigold on Saturday. I've booked the wheelchair space so that he can't refuse to leave at the end - that happened to me once!!!:rolleyes:

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
OH loves the cinema and usually behaves impeccably and sits stock still but he has a tendency to read subtitles out loud so I have to clamp a hand over his mouth! He also gets bored and fidgety waiting for the film but is fine once it starts. I am not sure I would want to sit in an audience full of wandering or talking people myself, I hate interruptions!

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
A Google search brought me back to TP, and would you believe it, there was a thread about this very thing!

Someone had started the thread but got no replies. The two threads are running together now.

I'll report back after we've been to the showing.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
OH loves the cinema and usually behaves impeccably and sits stock still but he has a tendency to read subtitles out loud so I have to clamp a hand over his mouth! He also gets bored and fidgety waiting for the film but is fine once it starts. I am not sure I would want to sit in an audience full of wandering or talking people myself, I hate interruptions!

We'll try to get an aisle seat near the exit as my husband often thinks he wants to go to the loo. He doesn't, it's mostly in his mind....

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Great movie! Saw it with my 12yo daughter :)
Taking Mum to see 2nd Best Marigold Hotel next week.
Also have to take an aisle seat.
Mum tends to talk a bit loud, but as long as its got dancing, or singing, or a bit of comedy she loves it.
If its too slow, she falls asleep :)

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Ashamed to admit we missed the show...

So sorry, but we missed the special Dementia friendly film showi! A friend had offered to drive us there, but then she discovered the film was on at a cinema closer to hand, and invited an elderly neighbour to come too, so we didn't get to the special showing!

We had hoped to swell the numbers at the special showing, so that we could suggest something similar to our nearest cinema. My husband manages quite well in the cinema so far, but I think he'd do better if the auditorium was a bit brighter, and it will be difficult if he starts talking in the middle of a performance.

It might be worth asking the nearest cinema anyway....

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
To be honest, I probably wouldn't go to this with OH just as I might not go to a dedicated mother and baby screening if I had one. If there was noise or interruptions, even though I know the reason behind it, it would distract me from the film. I already get a fit if people rustle sweets or shine their phones around!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I'm with Beate on this one. I don't think it would help Bill. He can still manage a regular cinema showing if I pick the film carefully. I now take him in his wheelchair in case he refuses to get up at the end of the show. We've been to see the 2nd Best Hotel Marigold today. Bill slept through a bit but watched most of it. I'm sure he doesn't/can't follow the plot but enjoyed the music and the colour and the visual side of it. We're going to the 'Silver Screening' of the Imitation Game on Tuesday. I'm not sure how he'll do with that one. He may sleep.

otomodachifan

Jun 13, 2015
One afternoon this week we're going to see The Theory of Everything at a cinema near us.

A friend told me about this showing, which is being put on especially for people with Dementia related difficulties. Carers go free, and it's open to anyone, but the auditorium won't be completely dark, and the audience will be asked to be understanding if anyone talks or wanders about etc.

I think it's a new idea, and is being trialled in a town near us as part of its plan to become Dementia friendly.

Has anyone else heard of such a thing?

Cool, I'd find that helpful (I have autism and I'm not independent). I've heard that at the dementia-friendly screenings will have slightly lowered sound and volunteer helpers. Is that true? If so, I'd definitely want to go. It'd be like the special TDF Broadway performances I go to. And I've heard that the movies that they show for dementia-friendly screenings are old musicals, which I would love (the autism-friendly screenings I attend are only kids movies, and due to school, it's very difficult for me to find an opportunity to attend a parent-and-baby screening (the movie is for the parents, they just bring a baby, so the sound is lowered and stuff), which has similar modifications). Hopefully these can be brought to NYC so I can join in the fun! :)

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Grand opera onscreen...

Sadly, the special Dementia friendly screenings haven't come to our local cinema, no thanks to me missing the pioneering one and not following up by asking our local. Inertia is terrible thing!

I took my ( increasingly confused) husband to the local cinema the other evening to see the live screening of La Boheme from London Covent Garden. He was enthralled by the wonderful singing, and I think the close ups and good sound quality helped him a lot. Afterwards he stayed in a happy mood right through his normally difficult time until bedtime, and went off to sleep without the usual fuss.