Dementia diagnosis

Cudgel 6551

Jan 10, 2022
I've just been diagnosed today with dementia/alzheimers , I've been given meds to help but very shocked and I'm at a loss at what to do next

Cudgel 6551

Jan 10, 2022
Just been diagnosed today with mix of alzheimer/dementia after seeing consultants at memory clinic for over 6mths, short term memory, being put on meds ......I'm forgetting families names, lose track of conversations and can't remember items I'm looking at, aweful thing to happen, I don't know what to do next

Eogz

Sep 9, 2021
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
It must be scary, mind blowing and so very worrying.
Some of the people have a diagnosis on here and many will offer you support.
I'm going through the process at the moment, I had an MRI before Christmas and waiting for a Neurology appointment.
If you want to gripe, shout at the world, talk or just plain moan we are here for you.
Again sorry to hear about your news today.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi and welcome @Cudgel 6551, I'm sorry to hear your news, it must be a shock to get your diagnosis. Alzheimers is a form of dementia. If you have been told you have mixed dementia it is usually Alzheimers mixed with some other cause such as vascular dementia. If you don't understand exactly what they said I would double check with them or if anyone went with you to the appointment they may be able to clarify for you.
It is pointless trying to find out how you will change as everyone is different. If you notice new problems please talk about them with your Dr or here and people may be able to help.
One thing I would advise you to sort out if you haven't already is Power of attorneys for health and finance. This means if you have any difficulty sorting things out your attorneys can help you as soon as it is registered.
Try to keep yourself active both mentally and physically and eat a healthy diet as things like this can help slow down any changes

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is an awful thing to happen @Cudgel 6551 and I would give yourself some time to take deep breaths and process the diagnosis.

I hope the following information will help you.

Please continue to post. There is a lot of support here for you. This will enable you to take one step at a time.

Cudgel 6551

Jan 10, 2022
Hi, I'm really sorry to hear about your diagnosis.
It must be scary, mind blowing and so very worrying.
Some of the people have a diagnosis on here and many will offer you support.
I'm going through the process at the moment, I had an MRI before Christmas and waiting for a Neurology appointment.
If you want to gripe, shout at the world, talk or just plain moan we are here for you.
Again sorry to hear about your news today.
Thank you so much for your kind words, I’m off to sleep now will chat soon

Cudgel 6551

Jan 10, 2022
Hi and welcome @Cudgel 6551, I'm sorry to hear your news, it must be a shock to get your diagnosis. Alzheimers is a form of dementia. If you have been told you have mixed dementia it is usually Alzheimers mixed with some other cause such as vascular dementia. If you don't understand exactly what they said I would double check with them or if anyone went with you to the appointment they may be able to clarify for you.
It is pointless trying to find out how you will change as everyone is different. If you notice new problems please talk about them with your Dr or here and people may be able to help.
One thing I would advise you to sort out if you haven't already is Power of attorneys for health and finance. This means if you have any difficulty sorting things out your attorneys can help you as soon as it is registered.
Try to keep yourself active both mentally and physically and eat a healthy diet as things like this can help slow down any changes
Thank you this helpful info still processing it all

Sue741215

Oct 18, 2019
I do not have dementia myself - (yet! as it may come to us all) but am living with my husband who was diagnosed over 2 years ago but due to covid and cancer treatment did not visit memory clinic until last year.
I hope it will help you to hear that he is still fit and enjoying life - if a different life- and more importantly does not seem to be getting worse or so slowly as hardly to notice.

You do not say what family and/or friends support, if any, you have but I would suggest that you share your diagnosis and how you are feeling with them so that they can best help you. Unfortunately my husband tries not to accept that there is anything wrong which is a very understandable reaction but I feel I would be able to help him more if he would share his thoughts with me as I am sure, underneath, he is aware.

I would also suggest that you make contact with local groups as it is likely to help to be in contact with others in your situation. The Alzheimer's society should contact you by phone following your diagnosis to talk about any help that you need.

I don't know if you are a reader and still able to concentrate but I have just read 'Somebody I used to know' by Wendy Mitchell who, despite her dementia has been able to describe her experiences and how she has tried to 'live with dementia' rather than 'suffer with dementia'. Although as another reply states everyone with dementia is different and Wendy is very different from my husband I have learnt from the book and found it uplifting.

You are no doubt still in shock but this will gradually reduce and you will start to plan how to make the best of everyday - if possible plan some treats for yourself - life will go on though it will be a different life.

Best wishes to you at this awful time for you and do get help in processing it all.