Dementia Counsellor

Jezzer

Jun 12, 2016
Lincoln, UK
My sincere apologies @Jorbin. Are you a dementia sufferer? I take it you are considering visiting a counsellor? If you go ahead, I do hope it is beneficial. J

erasmuszu

Dec 6, 2020
To pick up this old thread - a member of our family has recently been diagnosed with dementia, and I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for counselors who have experience advising dementia sufferers or their family members? We are ideally looking for someone in the Telford area.

Apologies if I've missed relevant materials - I've also contacted Dementia.Connect, but they say they are 'unable to recommend councillors' and shared a link to the counselling- directory. org .uk, though I'd like to find someone with experience working with dementia sufferers, their carers, or family members, to help everyone in the adaptation process...

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @erasmuszu
a warm welcome to DTP

I appreciate that gradually adjusting to a new diagnosis is challenging ... I hope reading threads here and starting your own thread with any questions will help ... I think most of us here would say this is where we gained most support and useful information

I'm afraid that the Terms and Rules of DTP do not allow members to make any recommendations on the forums of specific service providers

this may help find support near you

Last edited:

kindred

Apr 8, 2018
A warm welcome to DTP from me too, @erasmuszu. I can't help you with your direct question, but the carers support centre here in Bristol has helped me with support and their groups are great places to find out about local services. Try Telford & Wrekin All Age Carers Centre (telfordcarers.org.uk) and you may find someone who can point you in the right direction, good luck.
I agree with you nae sporran. It may prove difficult to trace a counsellor with this kind of experience. But the carer support centre could help. Must it be a counsellor? Was it the regular sessions you were wanting? I think a support group would be a great idea.
By the way name sporran, I’m in Bristol too!