1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

Dementia connect - help in your local area

Discussion in 'Helpful websites' started by SerenaS, Jun 10, 2015.

1. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Alzheimer's Society has launched a new services directory, called Dementia Connect. Dementia Connect is Alzheimer’s Society’s dementia services directory for anyone affected by dementia in England, Wales and Northern Ireland.

With over 3,500 listings of local information, support and services, it’s the most comprehensive and easy-to-use online directory of its kind.

How does it work?

Through a simple postcode search, you can find voluntary, statutory and private services nearest and most relevant to you. Each listing includes a map and clear, essential information about that service.

dementia connect.PNG

Once you click on search, a list of services will appear. You can adjust the results by distance and by service type.

>Visit Dementia Connect<

What do you think?

We'd love to hear your thoughts about our new service. Please feel free to add a comment or question below, by replying to this discussion.

NB Currently Dementia Connect does not work in Internet Explorer 8 or 11. Please use an alternative browser e.g. Google Chrome.

2. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    #2 nitram, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    A search on my postcode returns services for adjoining towns which are not available in my postcode. The search appears to work on the distance from the complete postcode. A search on the first part of the postcode would probably be better ie aan instead of aan naa although the Local Government Act 1972 created anomalies in Manchester in 1974. How can I add missing info for my postcode?

EDIT
    It would be better if the software translated the postcode to an LA.

3. Beate

Beate Registered User

May 21, 2014
    Female
    London
    #3 Beate, Jun 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
    I agree. I can't usually make use of services in other boroughs. If I input a postcode, the nearest radius I get is 5 miles. Even that strays into other boroughs. If I input the borough name, I am also plagued by the "within 5 miles of" thing. Why can't I just search for "within" a certain borough? Plus, I tested ticking just day care for the borough and nothing relevant came up (though it listed TP) so either they are not listed or the search criteria are flawed. Also, if you have one centre that houses memory services, do you really need to list the location six times with minimal variation? Lastly, if it listed more than five links on one page I wouldn't have to click through so often.

4. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks for your feedback, nitram and Beate.

I'll pass it to the Dementia Connect team.

5. Pacucho

Pacucho Registered User

Dec 20, 2009
    Wembley, Middlesex
    How can you add services to your area not listed ?

First well done on coming with this great initiative which is sorely needed.

One question I have is I noticed for my area there are certain services not listed, and so "Who do we approach about updating the list of services for your area ?"
    Regards,

Paco

6. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Hi nitram and Beate,

I have some responses to your comments:

Nitram, you can search Dementia Connect by the first part of the postcode. Search results are returned by proximity to the location you enter. If you enter the first part of the postcode it will find the central point of the postcode and return results ordered by proximity.

Beate, at the moment you can’t search by local authority however we will be regularly reviewing how the search works. Talking Point, the National Dementia Helpline and Alzheimer’s Society’s website are returned when fewer than four search results are found. You can amend the amount of results that are returned on each page by clicking on ‘5 items per page’ and selecting an option from the drop down

I hope this helps.

7. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Hello Pacucho,

I don't know if that's possible but I can ask if you like. Otherwise, we're holding a Q&A event with the Dementia Connect Team on 14 July at 2-3pm - please feel free to pop into the chat room and ask questions then. :)

8. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    This is great Serena. There are 27 entries for my post code. Some are repeats in adjoining areas but that's not a bad thing as meetings re cafes are different days and within easy travelling distance either by car, taxi or public transport. A lot of advice there too.

9. Pacucho

Pacucho Registered User

Dec 20, 2009
    Wembley, Middlesex
    Hello Serena,

Thanks for the response. I would be grateful if you could ask as I will be at an Alz. Soc. research meeting on the day of the Q&A session.
    Thanks,

Paco

10. Spamar

Spamar Registered User

Oct 5, 2013
    Suffolk
    #10 Spamar, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
    I've tried using postcode and village. Our post code covers a long thin area with a couple of different postcode within them, which is why I tried the village.
    The distances appear to be as the crow flies, thus Harwich is a mile further than Felixestowe. Not by road it isn't! Also our local Alzheimer's society doesn't seem to get a mention! I may have been looking for the wrong thing, though.

Just tried again. If you ask for Alzheimer's society things only, local things come up. If you ask for some of the other things, local things do not appear.
    Would be useful if I could get back to the choice page immediately. Think I have lost a button somewhere, though using app on an iPad.

11. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks for your feedback Spamar, that's very helpful.

12. nitram

nitram Registered User

Apr 6, 2011
    Male
    North Manchester
    The first part of my postcode returns services that are not available to me because they are in other local authorities.

Several services not directly provided by AS in my area are not indexed, as I previously asked 'how can I add missing info for my postcode?'

13. JigJog

JigJog Registered User

Nov 6, 2013
    Hi Serena,

Great idea but like Pacucho, there are services missing from the list for me.

I run a Memory Cafe in our village and also attend a Soup and a Song there too. I have been in contact with the Alzheimer's Society to ask that they promote these and they have said that they would be happy to.

It would be great to see them on this list, so that others could find out about these too.

I'd be grateful if you could get back to us on this after the Q&A on 14th.

JJx

14. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Thanks nitram, and JigJog. I'll ask about how missing information, or additional services can be added to the service.

For those who aren't aware, we've invited the Dementia Connect team to answer questions about the service. This will take place in our >Chat Room< tomorrow, from 2-3pm.

If you're not able to make the Q&A and you have a question, please either post it below or email talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk

Thanks,

15. SerenaS

SerenaS Administrator
    Staff Member

Apr 7, 2011
    London
    Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that we've invited the Dementia Connect team to answer questions about the service. This will take place in our >Chat Room< tomorrow, from 2-3pm today. :)