Dementia care through rose coloured spectacles

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
So disappointing for you danny, after all your efforts.:(

I'm afraid PCT managers and clinicians consider themselves above such mundane matters as day care.:(

What about SS? (Sorry, I don't know what DACS is). SS are really the ones you want onside, as hopefully they will be funding some of your clients.

At least you've had good publicity, and hopefully will benefit from word of mouth.

Well done anyway, it sounds to have been a very rewarding day for those who did come. And well done Tony, for supporting danny.:)

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Thanks danny, I did wonder!:eek:

It's shameful that they didn't bother to come.

You'll get there, though. I looked at your website, and it looks wonderful.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
New special centre

Very glad of feedback - I had been wondering & hoping - like Vonny - I think in the medium term there are positives already that you can't yet quite see. Could you pm me with the website - pleeeeease, xx

I wish I could have been there but geography as it is, no chance!!

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Oh Danny, you must be fed up with the apathy, but how wonderful to know that those who turned up were impressed. The professionals never seem to be able to appreciate anything that doesn't cost hundreds of pounds. But you will win through, and we'll all be there cheering you when you do! Don't be downhearted. Tony obviously appreciated what you're doing, and he's your target audience!

larivy

Apr 19, 2009
essex
well done Danny sorry i did not wish you luck for yesterday just caught up on posts you are doing a great job best of luck for the future i know it will succeed larivy

Mo_N

Oct 29, 2009
South East Essex
Please don't get disheartened by the poor turnout. I'm sure that once you get going word-of-mouth will bring people to your door.

I just wish I lived near enough to have come. I would have loved to have heard what David Sheard had to say. We need more people like him & you.

Keep up the excellent work.
Mo
xx

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi danny after having sat talking with you for over a couple of hours drink your coffee and then attending the opening of your new venture on Monday (can’t mention or I will be in trouble) I hope it will pick up and take off for you soon you have certainly worked hard enough for it to be successful , unfortunately I have taken a decision not to post to the public view on TP any more because what Bruice wrote in a reply to:
(Hunt the missing Thread)

I'll repeat a mantra that I have - the only people on this forum of whom we can say "these people have been verified to be what they say they are" are the moderators, because they have been thoroughly checked by the Alzheimer's Society.

We have one or two members on the forum who profess in a garbled way a range of knowledge and experience that transcends that of all departments in a major university - any topic, any situation, they say they have personal experience. Most members realise this for what it is.

danny remember me saying how quickly something can happen however how quck we react , I hope to keep in-touch with you well because ½ mile apart no problem
to my others friends on T.P I will use the private message method

(every time I postor reply to a thread it based on me a peronn with dementia and always truthful )

Cheers Tony

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Tony, I tried to post a reply to your post on 'Missing THread'. By the time I had written it, Sandy had closed the thread.

Then I tried to PM you, but got the message your PM box was closed. I have complained to Katherine about the closure of the thread, but have had no reply. So this is the only way I can get through to you.

Bruce was not getting at you, I promise you. Bruce would never attack anyone who posted in good faith.

If you will open your PM box, I'll write to you.

And yes, I'm angry too!

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi Tony,only just catching up with things,as usual I am a million miles behind everyone else:)

Tony,this is your forum,you are allowed to say how you feel,that is what it is here for.

Don`t stop posting,hey ,come round for a coffee tomorrow and tell me what has happened.

See you soon,Angela

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi thanks Danny sorry can’t come over tomorrow or Friday maybe next week sometime any way the situation is yes this morning I was a bit upset with Bruice however I have been in contact with Bruice on the private messaging {I did say you last week danny a person with dementia can get uptight very quickly but we can also forget as quickly }
so now everything between me and Bruice has been sorted , thank to all TP member's who sent me PM messages today as well

hope to see you next week danny got some interesting news for you nothing to do with TP

Chers Tony

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Just wondering about the new centre

Maybe I've missed it Angela - maybe there has been another thread or maybe you prefer to not discuss at present - but have things improved about how well you are being used, referred to etc?? I hope so.....so many great resources.......

Anyway - I've been thinking about you & hoping....., Sue x

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Sue,thankyou so much for taking an interest,I really appreciate it.

Well , quite a lot has happened from my last posting.We now have five people coming on a wednesday.They came for the first time last week and today has been our official second day and I am exhausted,but it is all well and truly worth it,just to see smiling faces and listening to people chatting away.

Little Beside House,where the day centre is ,is a beautiful period property surrounded by parkland and old walled vegetable gardens etc.The guests we have do not think they are attending a day centre,they think they are coming to a country hotel,they also think I am the housekeeper.Two of them told me today that the service here is excellent and they would be recommending it to their friends!

The activities etc just happen,if someone wants a stoll in the garden they can,if they want to have a go at painting they can.
We have made lunchtime the main event of the day,last week we chatted over what everyones favourite food was,it was fish and chips !Today we had fish and chips from the chippy,including me and the support staff!!!

This afternoon everyone went down to the beach at Falmouth and had an ice cream.

With regards to funding,we have three social service funded clients and two are private.

The CPN who broght one of the ladies over is amazed that we go out and about.

With regards to the marketing of this venture it has been a hard slog,it is only when people actually come and see Little Beside that they realise how special this is.

We are also starting a CST group session in partnership with Age Concern very shortly with a carers support group running along side.

I am also in the process of applying for any grant/funding we can find.I have so far invested two years of my time and alot of personal finance to do this,the rewards however are immense.Getting dementia care as good as we possibly can is what matters,on Sat ,the manager from a day centre run by Age Concern and three of her staff are coming to sse us,the manager came to our open day and wants her staff to see what we do.To me ,that is praise enough.

So as you can see things are now moving and I am thrilled,apart from the bunions on my feet from today.One of the approaches used in person centred care is not to wear uniforms,I suspect here at Little Beside they would love me to wear a waitress uniform with a white frilly hat when I serve afternnon tea!!!:)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
One of the approaches used in person centred care is not to wear uniforms,

I have never understood this Angela.

My husband still sees a uniform as a `professional` and is of the generation still respectful of professionals so more cooperative with people in uniforms.

At his care home, there are many staff. I can only identify new members of staff from visitors if hey wear uniforms. There is not always the time for introductions.

Also on trips out, it is so much easier to know who is in charge if uniforms are worn.

Where would we be if the Police, etc. stopped wearing uniforms. Who would we know to ask? They are part of person centred care as much as anyone.

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Retreat?

Oh Angela - I think I need to come & stay myself - it sounds like a retreat where you would just find out my needs and just look after me. Have you thought of carers staying or do you think we'd be too stressed by being among the cared for so it would not be a break? Maybe you have enough space to allow "space".

Sylvia - I heard a lovely piece of evidence based info last week - I can get the name of the group if anyone needs it - but they recommend (very new this) that when a person with dementia gets up in the night, going to them in a dressing gown, not a nurses uniform - obviously helping the person to the loo, giving tea etc as necessary - but encouraging them to go back to bed by normalising the context. makes a lot of sense to me - might not work for everyone - but I can imagine it would be worth a go....

Tarika

Jul 26, 2008
Dear Angela

I am a Penryn girl born and bred as is my mother but we both emigrated to London where my mum is now in an EMI unit. When I come down to visit relatives (only when mum has gone- I couldn't bear to visit the homeland without her) I'd love to come visit. I do know of friends with loved ones suffering from dementia down there so if you could PM me with your details I'll try to approach them. Wish mum and I were down there we'd be regular visitors.

Love Tarika

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Sylvia,many people struggle with this concept.The thinking behind this approach is to remove the barrier of `them` and `us`.

We are all individual but equal.Many people with dementia are also not aware they have a problem,Isuppose being confronted by a person in a uniform would alert them that there is a problem.

Also,going out and about on trips out accompanied by staff wearing uniforms again would highlight they had a problem.

It is all about keeping things as normal as possible.This approach certainly would not work in a acute hospital.

From my own personal experience the concept is fantastic.Seeing is believing.
Eighteen months ago I would have been planning what colour uniform we would be wearing,as a trained nurse my initial thoughts were exactly the same as yours.

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Sue,there is a care home down here where the night staff wear dressing gowns.It really does work,people seem to understand it is bedtime etc and they feel more at ease.Food for thought!
:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abba