Dementia care through rose coloured spectacles

Bookworm

Jan 30, 2009
Co. Derry
Danny - I've just had a browse of your older posts and I think it is a very interesting venture and I wish you well. Do you think (as early on you did say your real name) - it might be useful if you grew a "signature" with your real name & something maybe about the service or a quote that sums you up??

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Lynne,Newkid,Elaine,Hazel and Sue,a big big thankyou.
It might sound a bit cliche but I don`t think you will all ever know the impact your kind words is having .
When I am having a bad day with the barriers etc of trying to get this project off the ground and I switch TP on and see these words it really keeps me going.

I have also learnt so much from reading all the posts on here and for that too I am extremely grateful.

If any of you venture down to Cornwall come and see us because really without all of your input I would not be able to keep going.

So to everyone on TP a big thankyou.

Tonight I am going to try the picture thing!!!!

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Until this week I've been too busy to read this thread. Now my dad is in a lovely nursing home that seems to have very similar principles to your venture, and I am sleeping easy for the first time since my Dad's diagnosis! So all I really wanted to say is, keep the faith. When people find you, you will make such a difference to their lives, and the lives of their families. You need to pay decent wages to your staff because Dementia care needs to be seen as a valuable service, so that eventually it will be a positive career choice, not a last resort if you're really hard up. My dad's home is innovative and responsive to the needs and interests of its residents. They have built a bus stop where residents who like to pack because they are going home can sit and wait. The staff bring them tea and sandwiches, have a chat and when the bus doesn't turn up, the residents go back to the lounge! They've also built a post office for the man who likes to collect his pension every week. Just seeing people who want to find a way of making things that had been seen as behavior problems into activities, it's just inspirational. I'm absolutely certain that you will be doing the same. We'd have definitely come to see you if we lived any closer! Keep posting! Love Sue x

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Danny Thanks for the invite to your open day on Monday how fortunate is that living down here in Cornwall to be able to attend a venue and hopefully represent other Fronto-Temporal-Dementia suffers also to hear the quest speaker David Sheard from the TV documentary and meeting with members from our community mental health unit again where I have been a dementia patient and received their excellent help and support for all most ten years so I better be on my best behaviour, so looking forward to it, hay I’m so glad I have been honest and truthful in previous talking point threads.

Cheers Tony

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Sue,we are having our official opening day on Mon.I should be cleaning and gardening but instead I am wandering around outside checking out where I could put a bus stop and shelter!!!!!

I wonder if the council would do it for me free!!!

sleepless

Feb 19, 2010
The Sweet North
wow!

thatwoman,

What a wonderful idea about the bus stop, post office. I am amazed by your message.

My Dad lives in Merseyside, I see that's where you are.
I would love to know the name of the home your Dad's in, but don't understand other means of contact on TP. Can you let me know via one of the moderators or something?

Your message is like a ray of sunshine, to know that you have found 'peace' now, I'm so pleased for you, and your Dad.

All the very best to danny in your venture -- just imagine the satisfaction of achieving this sort of result for people with dementia and their carers!

sleepless.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi Danny Nothing wrong with being a little nervous that way as the day
progress things get better, any way from what I have seen , both you and Becky are honest caring people that the main thing, sorry to say this again but I did really appreciate our meeting you both listened you both asked questions we all laughed together your “Day Care” venture has got to be a success ,if only I could put my thoughts into words like “Barry & Norrm’s” never the less I was a happy with our get together, and Danny I’m no good with a duster sorry

Cheers Tony

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Open day on Monday 22 March 2010

Well done, you little Angel!

OPEN DAY
on Monday, eh? Great news, not only for anyone living in Cornwall, but for anyone living anywhere in the UK who might just need the kind of 'thing' you are about to achieve.

You may just turn all of our D R E A M S into R E A L I T Y.

I wish you every success, and a fine sunny day, full of the Cream of Cornwall ... and much support.

I wish I could be there to support you, as I am sure many of us would wish to do. If only we could ....

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Sorry about that Danny! But it is a brilliant idea isn't it! I really hope it all goes well for you. It will be wonderful for anyone who lives close enough to you to benefit. Keep us posted, x

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Sleepless, I've sent you a private message. Hope you find it! If not I'll try to find another way. I'm so relieved to have found this place, and I know that it won't always be as positive as it is now, but I know that the people in charge of the home are trying their best to find the thing that each resident enjoys doing. And treating them well. Which is in sharp contrast to his 10 weeks in hospital, where some staff were downright hostile. So Danny's venture is important for all of us who have struggled to find the right care, and I hope that Dad's home is also a beacon for carers like us. Sorry if I'm sounding a bit smug!
Sue x

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I just want to wish you all the best for tomorrow, Angela. I hope you get lots of visitors, and everyone is as excited as we are.:)

I only wish I was a bit nearer.

Love,

parrypamela

Jul 23, 2009
keep up the good work

hi Danni, I really wish we lived down there! Dont be afraid, it will definitely pick up. I am a carer and many people are telling me about the local alzeimers cafes around here. Problem is I am either at work, or caring for my mum. I know I can take her with me but dont really think it would be her cup of tea although I would like the company and advice, and chance to chat to others in the same position. Its not that I dont want to go, but when I do, if ever, get the opportunity or time to go, I will. Just pass the message around the support workers. North Staffs Carers are good for this locally. Not sure who you have down there. There are many people out there who really need you, they just need the little push, as I did, to get involved. It is a very lonely and frustrating place being a carer and it makes some people afraid to make that first step. It seems as though its accepting the inevitable and sometimes that is not a nice feeling. Good luck. As I said, wish I was down there.

beelist

Jul 18, 2009
Nr Cheltenham Glos
Keep on going

We all need more people like you. Sadly we are all too involved staying sane and coping perhaps to spot you ourselves. Good publicity will help....once the societies are involved that should come. Don't forget though some people are so physically challenged by their illness they can not come to you. My Dad is more more able mentally than physically.
Best of British to you!

Sam Iam

Sep 29, 2008
WEST OF THE MOON
Danny just wanted to wish you all the best for tomorrow xxx

Good Luck Clover 2 with text[1].jpg

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Hi T.P members you will know by know from my previous threads & replies I find difficulty writing sentences that’s easily understood however I will try several of you have sent messages to our T.P member Danny - “Angela” wishing her well for the open day “today” of a new venture Name deleted by moderator a modern style Day Care Centre, I live within half a mile of the Day Care Centre and was lucky enough to have an invite to the morning session , unfortunately we had the usual Cornish weather “rain” which make everyone jump out their cars a run for cover missing the beautiful surrounding gardens to the property, but once inside the Care Centre I met people from our local community mental health who I have known for over 10 years enjoyed that and also the guest speaker David Sheard, who as I’m sure will remember worked with Gerry Robinson on the recent TV documentaries about dementia care in care homes he is so friendly as were those who attended, getting a bit lost now I will say I wish Danny “Angela” and here team { won’t say their name in case I shouldn’t } all the best in their venture and hope the people in the local surrounding areas and Cornwall in general supports and make use of the facilities.

Have a look at the web page if its not removed by the Moderators
“hope it won’t block it ”

Moderator's Note: Web address removed as it breaks T&C about naming care organisations. Interested members can PM Tony or danny for details of the web address.

I know there are lot of T.P members who like myself love to see the web page

Thanks Danny for the invite
Tony

Last edited by a moderator:

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Reflections of an Angel?

Glad you enjoyed your day, Tony.

Rain in Cornwall? Never!

Hopefully, if you live just half-a-mile up the road from reflections, then you'll get special treatment, as the most loyal fan of the Reflections of an Angel!!

Sounds like a good title for a movie!!

Starring .... ? and ... ? and .... ?

thatwoman

Mar 25, 2009
Merseyside
Hope the day went well! I was thinking of you today. I'm sure you will be inundated with people soon. It seems like such a brilliant idea, it can't possibly fail,
love Sue

danny

Sep 9, 2009
Open Day.

Really difficult to judge yesterday as the negatives far exceeded the positives,not with regarding the day service so much .Here goes
The positives were;

Firstly,three professional carers want to book their mums in!!
Met some great people,in particular , people from the South of England Advocacy Project and Cornwall Arts for Health.
Julia Goldsworthy,MP and the press turned up.
TP Tony came and bravely admitted to everyone that he had dementia,thankyou Tony.You suprised everyone!!
The dementia lead for cornwall PCT came.

The main positive was listening to David Sheard speak about dementia care.David is the director of Dementia Care Matters,worked with the BBC and Gerry Robinson on the recent TV documentaries highlighting the terrible state of alot of dementia care homes.David also has written a lot of books with the AS and is a prolific speaker at many national and international dementia conferences.
I personally would make sure that every care manager,provider ,attended one of Davids lectures,talks as a condition of their registration.He is inspiring and would make everyone want to do things better.

The negatives were that no commissioners came.

Not one person involved with the dementia strategy for cornwall came.
Not one person from the medical profession came.

Not one manager from DACS came.

The PCT dementia lead invited 100 people to come,I asked hundreds.
On the day,we had two sessions where David spoke at each one,11 people came in the morning and 9 in the afternoon.

It was not the fact no one came to see our day support service,it was the fact that no one could be bothered even to come for an hour or so to listen to David.

He is talking at a sold out conference this week where delegates are paying £100 each!!!

I gave him to the professionals etc in Cornwall for free and they could not be bothered to come!!

David has just emailed to say he is reducing his fee to show his support.
Both David and the PCT dementia lead were flabbergasted at the poor turnout.

For me,well my team understand and realise that after listening to David we are very much on track with what we are trying to do,we are more determined than ever to give people with dementia in Cornwall the standard of care they so deserve.I am beginning to see how all of you on TP have such a hard time with the various authorities,if the leaders and managers can not be bothered how can they inspire others.
Tomorrow is another day!!!!

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
Poor turnout it may have been, but it is still a triumph for you.

The fact that David Sheard saw personally the apathy of the medical and care profession must spur him on.

You have worked so hard for this that even if the negatives outweigh the positives (at the moment), your venture must be a success.

It's great that you still manage to sound positive. Keep it going, we are behind you all the way. Lucky Cornwall! :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar