Dementia care through rose coloured spectacles

Vonny

Feb 3, 2009
Telford
It will be a long hard haul Danny, but you will get there in the end. You are doing brilliantly getting the right people interested and it is wonderful that you are reinvesting future profits into the company.

When I win that jackpot :D:cool: I will give you a hefty financial boost and come and work for you for nothing!

Though by that time you will no doubt have a flourishing business with all Cornwall flocking to your doors.

I really do wish you all the best in your worthy endeavours xx

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Putting people first

Having an open day in march,

+ David Sheard,who worked on the TV documentary with Gerry Robinson,is coming down to do a presentation for us.

+ lead commissioner from social services and the carers lead for cornwall are coming to see us in a couple of weeks time.

+ lead commissioner from the PCT and the dementia lead nurse for Cornwall are coming out.

+ I am making this new venture into a community interest company,this means any profits have to be reinvested into the company.

+ I feel a lot happier with this type of company and so does everyone else!

+ We are putting people first.

Sounds as though you've cracked it, Angel!

I'll donate my labour for free - b & b in the local 'hostelry' PAID FOR BY ME, and that's for the first month ONLY!!

Brilliant thinking, Angel! Well done.

PS. Hope you don't mind the way I adapted your original post. The message is still the same, just mathematically adjusted. 1 + 1 = 2 and sounds as though you've got far more than 2 on board so far. Great news.

sad nell

Mar 21, 2008
bradford west yorkshire
Danny some years ago i also looked into turning my home into a carers drop in centre, then an ad / carers holiday centre, my kids thought i had lost the plot, but i thought i could do this , untill i looked into staffing , insurance etc and realised i did not have the skill or finances to make this work, just hope you can make this happen, and i have an inkling you will, and make such a difference to many. best wishes for your venture pam

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Another link, for anyone who's perhaps not heard of the Starfish principle, or of Margaret Mead:

http://www.bystanderlead.com/starfishprinciple.html

Margaret Mead: "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

There are so many stories/tales, poems and anecdotes out there, just waiting to be found and considered by all those "in charge of care" who could do well to read and ponder.

Tender Face

Account Closed
Mar 14, 2006
NW England
Wow Danny!

Had we better ask for autographs now????? :D

Fabulously well done! Keep us posted as to how it all goes (If we don't see you on telly first! :))

Love, Karen, x

ElaineMaul

Jan 29, 2005
Dear Danny,
Saying 'Well Done' hardly comes close to what needs to be said for someone doing such an inspirational thing.

Now ..... how to get my Dad down to Cornwall!

I do hope you are keeping a diary of what you are doing to achieve what you are? It just might be a blue-print for what can be done around the country? It would certainly be a book I would buy :)

Take care ... one star-fish at a time :)

Elaine

danny

Sep 9, 2009
cornwall/real name is Angela
Hi everyone,another quick update.
We had our first gentleman around yesterday,referred to us by a CPN and funded by them.:)

We went to pick the man up with his wife to come and have a look around and a coffee etc.

One hour later the man was still sat in the car!!!!!!

I had a lovely chat with his wife whilst my manager shared a cup of tea in the car!!!

He waved bye to us and said he would come back next week!!
All the best laid plans!!!

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Oh Danny :p - glad you had an easy case to cut your teeth on! :eek: At least it was a nice bright spring day, suitable for al fresco refreshments :D

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
One hour later the man was still sat in the car!!!!!!

Danny, I don't suppose you could get that lady who burnt her flat down yesterday to drive this gentleman next time - he might then be only too pleased to get out of the car quicker than quick!! (Sorry! Not meant to be anything other than a light-hearted comment on the situation.)

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
Meetin with Danny

Hi Guys Just got back from my first meeting with Danny this afternoon
I initially went over for a coffee and a quick chat ended up staying for over two hours it was great meeting with a T.P member in person.
I thoroughly enjoyed the afternoon sorry Danny I forgot your colleagues christen name already I’m sure she will forgive me, I’m also sorry to both of you for taking up so much of your valuable time however it was so nice to be able to talk to two people who were prepared to listen to the views of a person with adementia diagnoses and how they feel in them selves copes with that illness ok most of us have spent hours having appointments with our GP’s or hospital Consultants during consultations , totally different having two young females prepared to ask a question and sit and listen to you rabbit on ( just like I am now )
so to you both thank you for being so kind and understanding this after noon
I wish you all the success for Monday
Danny there is a saying ( I wish you everything I wish myself )
cheers Tony xx

NewKid

Mar 26, 2009
Warwickshire
Just wanted to wish you well, you are more than welcome on this site as far as I am concerned... though it makes me envious of all the people who will come to your imaginative centre as it sounds like a rare gem that I've never (yet) found for my Mum. ;) The new status also is progress - putting back profit tallies much better with caring. Good luck...

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
No one minds talking about dementia here! Now I know that some of you would rather I found another forum but I really do not want to, No one would talk to me at all!
Danny, if anyone from TP has ever actually said that to you, I think they are well & truly out-voted!

Please stick around; apart from anything else, we need people like you to off-set all the incompetent 'professionals' who we come across.

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Danny, please don't find another forum. What you are doing is inspirational, and so important for the rest of us to see what can be done -- and how hard it is!:(

Love,