Dementia Care in a long-term care facility

Marina Mallia

Oct 26, 2017
Dear friends,

I am a university student, studying BSc. Occupational Therapy at the University of Malta, and since I am in my 3rd Yr, I need to compile a thesis/dissertation. The subject I am interested in is dementia care in long-term care facilities. However, I am not sure exactly what activities to do to address this issue, which is very crucial since I have had observed that engagement and participation of the residents in purposeful and meaningful activities is very minimal. Even some family members told me that their family members, after being diagnosed with dementia and admitted to an institution, they lost their independence partly, if not completely. This for me is such a pity, because after they have worked all their life looking after their families and being part of the economic growth of the country, they have ended up being deprived from their roles and became passive recipients of healthcare service.

I would really appreciate if you offer me your help because I really believe we can make the life of persons with dementia as well as their family members/care givers more fulfilling.

Best Regards,

Marina Mallia