Dementia Care Homes

ebc

May 8, 2021
We’re looking for advice on Care Homes for people with mid stage Alzheimers.

My aunt (in her late-80s) was diagnosed with early Alzheimers in 2018. The only family she has are nieces/nephews, who all live a couple of hours away. She said that she would prefer to stay in her own home so we arranged daily carer visits at lunchtime varying from 1 to 3 hours, but otherwise she is alone. This has been working pretty well for the past three years, and she really likes the carers now. But recently there have been a number of safety-related incidents which make us think that the need to move to a care home may not be far away.

When the time comes, she owns her house and has quite a lot of other savings, so would be self-funding.

As we can’t look round any Care Homes at the moment due to Covid, we have very little idea how good they might be as an alternative. I’m not referring to a specific care home here, but Dementia Care Homes in general.

Are there any that are pleasant and fulfilling places to live, that cater well for different types of personalities and provide occasional periods of one-to-one attention? We think, for example, that she might like to be allowed to stay in her room sometimes to watch TV, but might also like to be encouraged to join in with other activities and social events occasionally.

Also, although she is not able to do much for herself now, she is not at all rude or aggressive - is she likely to be placed in accommodation with people at a similar stage, or will she be with people who are a lot further down the line, possibly with more unpredictable behaviour which might be upsetting for her?

And by paying more, do you get better care, or just better surroundings/facilities?

We’d be very grateful for any advice or feedback from people who have more experience than us. In particular, it would be a great relief to hear from people who have had a good positive experience from moving a loved one into a dementia care home at this sort of stage.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello and welcome to the forum @ebc

I can't give any recommendations but there is a site that gives details and reviews for Care Homes around the UK and that may give you a starting point. Just click the following link if you would like to take a look. I can't vouch for the reviews.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @ebc and a welcome from me too. That site that @karaokePete linked to is very useful. If you scroll down it gives tips on what to look for when choosing a home.
From my experience of looking for a place for my mum I think you first need to decide if you would like your aunt to stay living near where she is now. That has the advantage that friends would be able to visit, and if the home does trips out they'll be to places she's familiar with. Otherwise which member of the family will be taking the lead on managing your aunt's care (I assume someone has Lasting Power of Attorney for your aunt) as maybe being near them will make things easier when sorting out payments etc.
As to what to look for, although Covid means visits to look at homes are restricted at the moment things are opening up slightly and some homes may allow limited viewings. I know some provide videos that give a bit of a flavour of what's on offer. I moved mum to a new build, hotel like home. I chose it partial because my mum is a bit of a snob, and I thought she'd much prefer to be somewhere that looked 'posh' and had things such as a hairdressers and a coffee bar. It also had en-suite rooms which I thought was important too. I went to another home that was similar to look round but chose the one I did as it seemed more dementia friendly and homely. It also has loads of activities on. Mum hasn't joined in all of them, but the home has tried hard to provide things she likes, mainly dancing, and they do the same for the other residents too. It is a mixed home so not everyone has dementia and it doesn't have nursing care as such, they have the district nurse in as needed. If your aunt has nursing needs or is likely to need them sooner rather than later it might be useful to look at ones that does.
I'm sure others will be along shortly with their suggestions, but in the meantime have a look around the site. Type care homes or similar into the search bar at the top will bring up other threads on the topic. Some will be old and the posters may no longer be active here, but there will be some useful information to be had.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @ebc and welcome from me too

My mum moved into a care home when she was at about the same stage as your mum.
The place she moved into was a dedicated dementia unit (often called an EMI unit). She needed to be there as she kept on going out in the night dressed only in her nightwear and getting lost, so she needed a secure place to keep her safe. Dedicated dementia units/EMI units usually have more staff and they are also better trained and have more experience in dementia care than mixed residential homes.

When you are thinking about somewhere for your mum the main thing you have to think about is the care that she will receive. There are many places out there that look wonderful, but it is mostly aimed at impressing the relatives and the care itself is not so good. Dont think about where you would like to be if it were you there. Your mum will not be seeing things in the same way as you do and will have very different needs. Things like spas, a cinema room, permanent hairdressing saloon and bar, sound wonderful, but will she really need them? The place mum moved to was a bit old-fashioned and scruffy, but was clean, had a homely atmosphere and the care was wonderful. I learned quite quickly that the things that mum thought were important had changed, In her own home she had liked to sit in the lounge where patio doors led out to the garden, so when she moved into her care home and I found that she was at the front overlooking the car park I tried to get her room changed so that she was at the back with a lovely view over the garden and fields beyond. Mum, however, decided the view over the garden was "boring" and wanted to stay in her room overlooking the car park as she could everyone coming and going and it was more interesting to her!

I hear you about wanting her to be with people at the same stage and not with people who have advanced dementia, but the problem comes when your mum reaches advanced stages and becomes the person that other residents relatives dont want them to be with. If there is a care home that only has people at the stage that your mum is now, this means that there will come a time when your mum will be asked to move. You may not consider this a bad thing, but do be aware that is can happen (and often does). I wanted mums care home to be her home until she passed away, so there were residents at all stages of dementia there. The ones with advanced dementia didnt seem to worry mum at all and any bizarre behaviour just went over her head - it helped that the staff were swiftly on hand to defuse any difficult behaviour! It also meant that when mum hit one of the carers with her walking stick (I was horrified as she would never have done this before) there was no question of her leaving.

Mum was happy in her care home. It took several weeks for her to settle in, but once she had she made friends, joined in the activities and loved going out for little outings. She once told me "they all love me in here" and she was right, they did. She lived there for nearly three years and eventually reached end stage and passed away there, in surroundings that she knew and tended by familiar people. I couldnt have asked for better for her.

Seaholly

Oct 12, 2020
Take the reviews on carehome UK with a pinch of salt! There are nothing but glowing reviews for the home that really let Mum down badly a couple of years ago when she did her respite care. The consequence is that my brother, with whom I have joint power of attorney for health, refuses point-blank to consider a nursing home now and we're at a point where she will soon need hoists and already needs full time supervision throughout the day. I found the facebook reviews for the same home recently and spoke to someone who has a relative in there and they painted a completely different picture!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Take the reviews on carehome UK with a pinch of salt!
The best way of deciding what it is like is to visit. I know it is difficult ATM because of covid, but things should be opening up soon. Try and look past the decor and see how the carers respond to the residents. Are there times/places when they are left on their own? Talk to a couple of the staff if you can and find out how long they have worked there and what they think. OK, they will try and be diplomatic and not say that they hate it, but you should be able to gauge whether they really do like working there.
Try and go at different times - the atmosphere can be quite different at different times of the day. Mornings are usually quite bustley and animated with activities, afternoons are quiet and sleepy with residents snoozing and the TV on and then late afternoon/evenings sundowning kicks in?.

Exning

Aug 26, 2018
Please never rely on reviews, especially at this time with lockdown restrictions only starting to relax. People are very reticent in giving an objective assessment and can radically misrepresent the reality. My MIL in a lovely home with caring staff but recent reviews have said things which are frankly false and perhaps wishful and reassuring to the reviewer rather than a real assessment. The general lack of communication made any reviews meaningless.
Also please remember homes can change very rapidly. A review when management has since changed has to be questionable.
The only real test is a visit and a respite stay if possible

ebc

May 8, 2021
Thank you all for taking the time to write such comprehensive replies. Your advice is much appreciated, and you pointed out some things we hadn't thought of, so we are most grateful.

Raindancer11

Apr 6, 2018
Hi there,
I moved my mum into a dementia care home in December. Although we weren't allowed to go to far in to the home, they did allow us to see the room as it was near an entrance. We had many phone calls with the staff prior to her moving in. She is with 18 other residents all at different stages of dementia, none of whom will be moved on to different homes as the condition progresses. We were assured that it is her 'forever home'. I can honestly say, that she is well cared for, happy and definitely benefiting from the stimulation of having constant company. We were allowed pod visits during lockdown, now two of us are allowed into a specified lounge to visit with her which is lovely. I rang on a daily basis in the beginning to keep checking on her, I always feel welcome to call for a chat if I have any questions or worries. I hope that has been of help to you, and I wish you luck finding somewhere homely for your mum.

ganymede

Apr 28, 2021
Thank you to the previous posters, I'm in a similar position to the OP and have found all your responses incredibly useful.

lensgirl

Jan 14, 2020
Definitely go and look at some. My nan was in hospital a few weeks ago after a heart attack and this has prompted myself and my sister to start looking so we could get in when the time was right (unfortunately I wish we had done it sooner as we could have got her discharged there rather than back home. ) We looked at 4 and were a bit despondent after the first 3 as we felt none of them would work for nan (too clinical, no personal shower ...) but last Saturday we found the perfect one.

They are out there you just have to find the one that suits.

Bikerbeth

Feb 11, 2019
Bedford
I agree with the comments made above especially those made by Canary.
My Mum actually choose her care home and it does have the cinema room, permanent hair dressing saloon, cafe area etc however it has also had 5 managers in 18 months, some excellent staff who unfortunately leave due to lack of leadership and currently has more agency staff than permanent staff. That is no offence to some of the agency staff who are lovely but then there is no continuity of Care. Although I did ask about staff turnover when we looked at it the Manager at the time did give a false impression. I am sure there are also some good expensive ones around but to answer one of your questions it does not always equate with better care.
I wish you all the best in finding a home for your Aunt

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan