Dementia Care Homes in Thailand

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Driving in the car this afternoon I caught an item on Radio 2 with Jeremy Vine about people from the UK sending their relatives to care homes in Thailand. Jeremy quoted £1,000 a week cost in the UK for a dementia care home (probably quite optimistic in some regions!) and that in Thailand the cost is around £750 a week, where residents get complete one to one care (presumably 24 hours). It was also said that the homes are very nice, good food, nice outlook, etc. A lady from the UK was saying it's not an ideal for some, but with the current situation with social care and lack of places in homes, more people are looking at this as an option. I guess the staff may or may not speak English. I think they said the homes are run by UK/American companies.

Not sure if anyone else caught this. Have made note to self to catch the full item on Sounds.

Marnie63

Dec 26, 2015
Hampshire
Yes Marion, I thought £750 a week expensive for Thailand too, even with one to one care. I guess that comes from it being run by Brits and Americans!

Splashing About

Oct 20, 2019
I can’t imagine this being a viable option for many with dementia....getting mum into a local home needed sedation. That was a just 3 mile journey by ambulance with hoist!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I would worry that I couldnt visit very often and keep an eye on how my mum was getting on or whether there were problems.
I cant imagine that they would do things like phoning if they had a fall or an altercation with another resident and I wouldnt be able to just drop everything and turn up in an emergency