dementia awareness courses for families of dementia sufferers

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
My husband is now in the later stages in an EMI unit, and my problems there are with the staff nurses who have not had EMI training. I don't know how we get to them as they're not NHS, so the care home organisation would have to fund the training. The carers on the whole are excellent, and the charge nurse is RMN, so no problems there.

I agree with Norman. As someone said, 'education, education, education'.

PS TP is the best source of information and support around. Perhaps all care homes should have the web address prominently displayed and pointed out to families.

Hi Hazel
I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment, but with your experience, could you give an informal talk to the staff at John's care home?

If it helps staff at one care home to understand, then maybe you could have a format for the talk, which we could all then try to replicate and deliver to the care staff in the home, where our relatives are living.

Every little helps etc....

Alfjess

inkypink

Jan 2, 2008
hull,UK
just got in from work

hi all,
just finished my night shift & am exhausted to say the least.
reading all these replies i see there is a mixed reaction to my suggestion. i can see the negative points but also the positive ones.
i know my organisation is a person centred non profit making company so their main objective is to give the best possible care there is to our clients. that means training,training & more training.most of it helps me but some is just text book learning & basically a load of cobblers.its written that you should deal with this situation this way & that situation that way but in reality nothing is ever that simple.
my night shift is a waking shift,under no curcumstances are we allowed to sleep during our 9 hour shift.last night for example,we have 33 residents,4 night staff,which is myself as senior & 3 carers.2 floors so 2 up 2 down.alot are still up walking around the home & have declined personal care from day staff so they have been left for us to assist them.all our residents are in the late stages of dementia & only about 2/3 are aware of the surroundings & who we are.most of the residents have come to us because they got 28days notice from a previous home as their behaviour was unacceptable.
now because of our dementia training we are able to approach the residents without much caution which in turn makes them feel at ease,we are prepared for any sudden change in mood & lots of reassurance is always given.the best way i deal with a mood change is start talking about the past & when they were younger as that memory is still very vivid in the mind,its mainly short term memory that goes first then the ability to function properly.anger comes through frustration more than anything else.
anyway,last night about 6 residents were up most of the night walking around,one in particular thought he was at work so was trying to mend the doors & just pottering about,another was screaming & shouting each time we tried to assist her as she was incontinent of urine & faeces,she scratched & nipped & even bit me when i got near her but i still had to keep going back & eventually calmed her down.
i know that family carers don't experience alot of that,as i said they are all late stage dementia. but i've seen questions asking why isn't my mother eating much anymore or my husband is awake all night,why.or,my wife has become aggressive & she was always so gentle,why!!
awareness would answer these simple questions.all our training is free as the organisation have their own trainers & families can get advice anytime they ask but i know its more difficult for home carers as the system don't often see them as priority.i don't rate the social services for assistance at all.
docs just write prescription for medication with terrible side affects so they don't care.
i know i've babbled a great deal but i really am on the side of the families & would love to help some way to get better support for them even if the awareness course isn't such a good idea!!!

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
Hi Hazel
I know you have a lot on your plate at the moment, but with your experience, could you give an informal talk to the staff at John's care home?

If it helps staff at one care home to understand, then maybe you could have a format for the talk, which we could all then try to replicate and deliver to the care staff in the home, where our relatives are living.

Every little helps etc....

Alfjess

Hi, Alfjess, I'd love to, but I daren't suggest it at the moment, I've caused too much of an upset this week already. I need to find out what training the staff receive before I could think of it.

I know the charge nurse is RMN, but I have my doubts about the other nurses. The more senior carers are brilliant, but they have years and years of experience, and I think they train the newer ones on the job.

It's the middle tier of nurses I'm worried about. Inevitably they're often left in charge, and some of them are just not up to it. They infuriate the carers too, because they pull rank, even though the carers know more than they do. The atmosphere has been terrible this week.

It would be interesting, if I wasn't so closely involved!

Love,

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
[Dear Inkypink,

Just wanted to say how much I admire your dedication to caring for your elderlies. No-one should have to cope with violence in the workplace, but the fact that you understand what causes it and keep going back is a tribute to you.

Speaking for myself, I like to see posters who are professional carers because I think we family members can help you understand our view points, and you can certainly help us with your knowledge and experience.

The fact that you are willing to take your free time to find out more about the people you care for is a truly admirable thing to do.

As someone with a family member (Mum) in a care home, I am very heartened by the knowledge that there are truly caring Carers like yourself out there.

Thank you so much.

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi, Alfjess, I'd love to, but I daren't suggest it at the moment, I've caused too much of an upset this week already. I need to find out what training the staff receive before I could think of it.

I know the charge nurse is RMN, but I have my doubts about the other nurses. The more senior carers are brilliant, but they have years and years of experience, and I think they train the newer ones on the job.

It's the middle tier of nurses I'm worried about. Inevitably they're often left in charge, and some of them are just not up to it. They infuriate the carers too, because they pull rank, even though the carers know more than they do. The atmosphere has been terrible this week.

It would be interesting, if I wasn't so closely involved!

Love,

Hi Hazel

Maybe one for the future then??

I think staff in care homes would benefit from the experience of relatives.

Love to both you and John

Alfjess

alfjess

Jul 10, 2006
south lanarkshire
Hi Inkypinky

I am so glad to hear from a dedicated carer and your idea is good, but I don't know how the co-ordination would work so that all carers could benefit.

I wish some organisation could take this idea and run with it.

Keep Caring

Love
Alfjess

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jprollet