Dementia Aunt

meg54

Feb 28, 2015
Hi all,
Looking for advice here.
My late father's sister (age 87) lives in Richmond, Surrey. Her only son is in Australia. My sister has been trying to take of her affairs from 300 miles away, doing a sterling job, liasing with social services, medical care, housing, finance etc, but is hitting a brick wall when it comes to moving our Aunt to where her UK family can take care of her.
She currently is in private housing, but we can't seem to get the SS to move her to where we can care for her, here in the north east.
The sticking point is she insists she can't afford to move,though she would love to be nearer her only remaining family.,
The SS stance is if we move her, it will be 'kidnap', as my Aunt insists she cannot afford to move (she can, and if not, the the family are happy to pay for it.) even though my sister had an e-mail from her contact at the SS asking for new clothes for I. as she had lost half of her body weight in only 6 month!!s.
Is there anything we can do to move her closer to her UK family. We have the (written) support of her son in oz.
Thanks,
meg

Pacucho

Hi Meg,

I have just read your message, and noticed you have not received a response.

For your sister to take charge of your Aunt's affairs your Aunt will have needed to make a Lasting Power of Attorney in respect of both her financial and health and welfare affairs.

If your Aunt did not make any such arrangements then the issues you need to consider is does she still have the mental capacity to make such a decision, and if so would she want your Sister to act in her best interests.

If your Aunt no longer has the mental capacity then the only other alternative is for your Sister to apply to the Court of Protection to become your Aunt's Deputy.

Without this legal authority your Sister will find it very difficult to persuade your Aunt's Social Services department to agree with the plans.

If you need further advice on the legal issues her local Alzheimer's Society's office or Carers Centre should be able to help.
Regards,

Paco

henfenywfach

May 23, 2013
rct
Hi all,
Looking for advice here.
My late father's sister (age 87) lives in Richmond, Surrey. Her only son is in Australia. My sister has been trying to take of her affairs from 300 miles away, doing a sterling job, liasing with social services, medical care, housing, finance etc, but is hitting a brick wall when it comes to moving our Aunt to where her UK family can take care of her.
She currently is in private housing, but we can't seem to get the SS to move her to where we can care for her, here in the north east.
The sticking point is she insists she can't afford to move,though she would love to be nearer her only remaining family.,
The SS stance is if we move her, it will be 'kidnap', as my Aunt insists she cannot afford to move (she can, and if not, the the family are happy to pay for it.) even though my sister had an e-mail from her contact at the SS asking for new clothes for I. as she had lost half of her body weight in only 6 month!!s.
Is there anything we can do to move her closer to her UK family. We have the (written) support of her son in oz.
Thanks,
meg

Hi!..its that old cherry capacity again. Firstly well done for taking care of you aunt...and as long as she hasnt been diagnosed by a dr as having no capacity..she only has to have capacity to understand whats shes signing..
Dementia can change peoples confusion from day to day or more frequent depending on the type.
But as long as she can say yes i know theyre trying to help me..and someone can witness it..thats the way a legal person advised us..

Moving someone with dementia can have an impact on them..and youre clearly caught between a rock and a hard place....the ss might be thinking about that.. but ultimately on an emotional side..id want my aunt or mum near family...

Try and get lpa for health and welfare and property and finance...as finance will be relevant if she needs care there will be financial assessments.

You need to have meeting with her social worker....not just over the phone...and show them how serious you are...to be honest not many ss know much about dementia in reality...so if you show them youve considered how a move could impact and how much more she gain from having family near by....this will tell them youve not made a decision lightly..

When the recent memory fades and she lives her life using old memories..i am assuming she still has an emotional connection with you all?..even if she doesnt remember you visually?...this is important.....for her...as the myths of dont worry she doesnt remember arent true..emotionally things last longer..even if she cant name it shes probably still feeling it..

I wish you luck in doing your best for your aunt!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Talking Point mobile app

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EileenSp