Dementia as a PERSON...

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
I think of DEMENTIA now as a LITERAL Person when my mum sadly goes into "dementia mode" to me thats NOT my mum talking, it's DEMENTIA talking and i dont like that person dementia so i detach myself and ignore it.

Anyone else do that?.

I stress, I'm NOT ignoring my mum, I'm ignoring the DEMENTIA

Last edited:

angecmc

Dec 25, 2012
hertfordshire
I totally agree with you, it actually makes it a bit easier to deal with when you think that way. My Mum sadly is now in permanent care, but that comes with a new set of problems, difference is that we now get help from the carers when she is in dementia mode so it isnt so scary to deal with xx

Ange

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
I totally agree with you, it actually makes it a bit easier to deal with when you think that way. My Mum sadly is now in permanent care, but that comes with a new set of problems, difference is that we now get help from the carers when she is in dementia mode so it isnt so scary to deal with xx

Ange

Oh for sure, it's my coping Mechanisim.

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012

Ange

Sorry to hear your mum is in permanant care ange:(.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I certainly have detached myself, and have remained detached for a good three years. I am not sure how good that is as i feel in limbo. When we had a particularly aggressive and nasty and violent mum around 3 years ago I identified a monster which appeared to be living in mum, and seemed to have taken over her body and mind. I guess that's similar to seeing dementia as a person.

TaraT

Aug 31, 2011
Manchester
That's exactly how I see it. I think of her as being (in a wierd way), 'possessed' for a bit....and then some of her will return for a while.

It's odd, but when she used to live at home, she would suddenly click back to being her normal self and would say "I don't quite know what happened to me then."

worriedson1

Jan 30, 2012
That's exactly how I see it. I think of her as being (in a wierd way), 'possessed' for a bit....and then some of her will return for a while.

It's odd, but when she used to live at home, she would suddenly click back to being her normal self and would say "I don't quite know what happened to me then."

"That's exactly how I see it. I think of her as being (in a wierd way), 'possessed' for a bit....and then some of her will return for a while. "

I could have said that word for word.

little shettie

Nov 10, 2009
Its a great idea, but I'm not sure I have the strength to ignore! I spend a lot of time with mum and it wears me down. That's my failing, not hers. I will work on it for sure. Thanks for sharing x