Dementia and Us

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Usually I shy away from programmes about dementia but was drawn to this last night because it was real life, featuring real people with dementia and their families and filmed over two years .

It was informative for anyone who wished to know about different types of dementia, sensitive and realistic for those of us who have experienced it and I think BBC2 did people with dementia justice.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I really wasn't sure about watching this - too close to home .

Initially I thought "Oh no, everyone being positive and cheerful, and not at all representative of me" (and, to be honest, I felt a bit inadequate that I couldn't manage to feel like that.)

However, as the programme progressed, the stresses of the carers came out, and the reality that many of us live with was shown with clarity.
Within the limited confines of an hour it managed to show a range of types of dementia, and a wide age range of PWD too.

No programme is every going to honestly show the terrible reality of dementia - that would simply be too much for most people to take - but this had a good go at trying.

Well done to those who agreed to be followed for 2 years, wherever they might ultimately end up.

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I’ve only just seen this thread. I watched it and thought it was mostly very well made. I’d never heard of the rare familial dementia that the young man had, so that was interesting (and awful).

The only thing I didn’t like was in the second show when the interviewer tried so hard to break that young man’s facade of cheerfulness ( “You don’t seem sad about having dementia, you must feel sad? etc etc…). And eventually succeeded and he shed a few tears. No doubt she thinks it makes a better programme, but it was unnecessary and cruel, I thought.

No mention of poo-nami’s or similar, either. Probably wouldn’t make good TV to be fair.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SuzieMK27