Dementia and Technology - Research Project

khany1

Apr 10, 2008
Hello,

i am a final year student at university and i am currently working on a project researching on technology, its implementation and ehtical issues in dementia care and support.

i was wondering if any carers or those who live with dementia suffers or who have the condition themselves, use any technolgical assistance i thier day to day lives. Also, what technological support do you think you would use and are you causious of some technolgies,

and if its not too much trouble, would some people volunteer to fill out a short questionaire,

any help, guidance or advice will be greatly appreciated, this is my first try to obtain feedback directly from people who are affected by the condition, and im not sure on how to go about it exactly,

thank you again,

helen.tomlinson

Mar 27, 2008
Hello Khany1

My husband has a dementia and he cannot now use any technological device apart from an old t.v. remote control that we have upstairs. This is because it is an old simple format. My husband cannot use the microwave, his music centre, he cannot turn the t.v. on or off (the main t.v.) and he doesn't know what a computer is for.

The thing that helps me as his carer is this computer which enables me to keep in touch with the wider world and to gain meaningful contact and support.

Is this the sort of information you require. If not, could you be a bit more specific in order that I might help.

Helen

khany1

Apr 10, 2008
Thank you very much for your response,

that information was very useful, would you be willing to fill out a short questionaire on technology and how you believe it may impact your and your partener life, if i was to post it on here?

Thank you again,

PS: sorry to admin for posting in the wrong section

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi khany1

Helen says
he cannot now use any technological device apart from an old t.v. remote control that we have upstairs. This is because it is an old simple format.

I found that the simplicity of a format made no difference at quite an early stage. It is more familiarity with something that has been used frequently.

I reckon that if Helen gave her husband an equally simple device of a different format, then he might have problems.

It is the newness and unfamiliarity that causes problems.

Two years before Jan showed even the slightest symptoms of her dementia, I installed the first version of Windows on our PC at home. Jan simply couldn't figure out what the mouse was for, or how to use it.

Admittedly mouse usage involves physical and eye/brain coordination, but she simply couldn't work it out at all. And then she would go downstairs to the piano and play some Beethoven from memory, perfectly.

I think the brain can retain familiarity with things simple and complex, but with dementia, there is no training/re-training it.

Just my thoughts, as a carer.

khany1

Apr 10, 2008
thankyou very much for the replies, my reasearch is looking into simple and more complex technologies, ranging from warning sensors to telecare systems,

would some people be so great as to fill in the questionaire below, if i am taking the wrong approach, please inform me,

Thank you again

Dementia and Technology Questionnaire

This questionnaire is to aid me in my final year project which looks into how technology can support dementia patients and carers to enable them to lead more independent lives and remain in their own homes for as long as possible. Any information given will only be used for the purpose of my study. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Are you: Someone who has the condition
Someone living with a Dementia patient
Someone who cares for a Dementia patient

Q1: Do you or the dementia patient currently use any assistive technology to support you from day to day lives (this includes warning sensors, monitoring technology, memory aids etc). If so, please elaborate

Q2: Do you have any problems with the technology you currently use?

Q2: Do you feel technology would be useful to yourself if it was offered. What technology would best assist you?

Q3: Do you think people with the condition and carers are cautious of technology as they feel it will intrude on their lives?

Q4: Where do you think technology development should focus, and how could it be improved?

Please feel free to add any additional comments,

Thank you again.

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi khany1

From my own perspective and experience, technology is relevant in two areas:

#1 for the person with dementia - broadly, organisation of the living environment to minimise the likelihood of accidents. This is more a passive thing than anything requiring active participation on the part of the person.

#2 for the carer - enhancing their ability to ensure safety of the person who has dementia - so, a device that can locate them should they go out/get lost. Maybe even something along the lines of a webcam/cctv

Regarding the questionnaire:

Q1: Do you or the dementia patient currently use any assistive technology to support you from day to day lives (this includes warning sensors, monitoring technology, memory aids etc). If so, please elaborate

We didn't.

My wife did and gradually withdrew from using all technology

Q2: Do you feel technology would be useful to yourself if it was offered. What technology would best assist you?

Frankly, in our case, nothing.

Q3: Do you think people with the condition and carers are cautious of technology as they feel it will intrude on their lives?

Yes, cautious of anything new - not because of intrusion, but because of ability to comprehend.

Q4: Where do you think technology development should focus, and how could it be improved?

People such as yourself need to gain views from as many people as possible to identify areas of common use. My own views and experiences may be wildly different from those of others, and not relevant at all in the grand scheme of things!

Good luck in your research! :)

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Please not, you have 2 Q2s. This is what happens with technology. :)

Are you: Someone who has the condition
Someone living with a Dementia patient......yes
Someone who cares for a Dementia patient......yes

A1....No

A2....My husband has problems with all technology

Q3: Do you feel technology would be useful to yourself if it was offered. What technology would best assist you?

A3....Only something not requiring the learning of a new skill.

Q4: Do you think people with the condition and carers are cautious of technology as they feel it will intrude on their lives?

A4.....Not an intrusion, just another thing to worry about, have to learn, and another thing that could go wrong if it broke down or was used incorrectly

Q5: Where do you think technology development should focus, and how could it be improved?

A5...Modern technology is brilliant, but the time is not right for those either, suffering dementia, or caring for another with dementia to adapt to new methods. It takes all our time to keep hold of the old established methods.

I am sorry for being negative. I am speaking as someone who had to have a living flame gas fire replaced with an old fashioned gas fire as my husband thought it was real and threw rubbish on it.

khany1

Apr 10, 2008
thank you very much for the replies, more would be great,

will definately include your responses in the report, they have been very helpfull so far,

Thank you again,