Dementia and smells

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I have just come back from mums and the smell was awful. I am very sensitive to smell but my son asked what the hell it was, mum said a neighbour's bar-b-cue. Trust me that was no bar-b-cue but mum, a fastidiously proud and clean woman just could not smell it.

Is this another new part to the dementia story?

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
It sounds like a normal part of dementia to me. Hygiene often goes by the board.

The sense of smell is a bit of an oddity in that you become desensitised to smells after a while. If you live with a strong smell for a while you will cease to notice it, whereas it has a powerful effect on someone walking in on it.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I have never ever smelt anything before she is so clean. I am there every day. Today it reeked, I so hope this is a one off. But I kind of know it probably won't be.

sanita

Aug 7, 2013
water infection

I have never ever smelt anything before she is so clean. I am there every day. Today it reeked, I so hope this is a one off. But I kind of know it probably won't be.

when there is a smell in mums house its usually because she has a water infection .take a sampleof urine to the doctors.

Noorza

Jun 8, 2012
I am so happy to report it was a false alarm on a dementia level. I had mum assessed for a manual wheelchair and she got a brand new one for as long as she needs it. We haven't used it yet.

Sister told her the new one couldn't be fitted into cars (total garbage but sister has to tell mum whatever I do is wrong) so sister would come to the rescue and get her a better one with Mum's money of course.

I have the smallest car going it's so small I only pay £20 a year car tax but it folds down to fit into my car with the rear seats down.

Anyhooooooooooow She tells Mum she'll get her a better one off the internet, so she buys one from Ebay's and it has made the whole house reek of someone else's poo. It must be inside the cushion, it is so foul. I've just called mum and because we mentioned the smell, she didn't smell it in the lounge where she sits all the time but when she moved to the room where the chair was it hit her nasals. Sister has bought her a poo infested, stinking second hand wheelchair, which has now been put out of the house so the house it can be dereeked.

I've explained to Mum again that the new one that I got her after her assessment will really fit into my car and she's to leave the poo stinking one in the garden. Seriously her whole house stunk.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.........