Dementia and refused surgery

Jon_a66

Aug 6, 2021
Hi guys this is my first post. My mother is 82 and suffers from early dementia. She keeps her own house, does her own shopping, has no other ailments and is very mobile. Well at least she was till about 2 month ago. Turning in the garden she misplaced her foot and fell. She fractured her shoulder. The X-ray wasn’t good. They were going to replace her shoulder until they found out about her dementia. Now she walks round with one arm like a t-Rex only moveable from the elbow down over. Her confidence has fallen through the floor (won’t use escalators or go in Walkin shower on her own), struggles to dress and undress herself.

has anybody had an operation refused and is there any reason why a perfectly healthy dementia sufferer should be refused an operation. We have power of Attorney.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I don't know anything about the medical issue here but I believe you are entitled to ask for a second medical opinion in these circumstances. There is normally a patient liaison service at a major hospital who can help.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Jon_a66 and welcome to Talking Point. Treatments and surgery are often discussed on here and each case is different but it is well known that surgery that requires anaesthetic can sometimes prompt a down turn of dementia in patients. , even short hospital stays have been known to cause detrimental effects on dementia patients. I am not sure if it is the stage of dementia or if it is the age of the patient or perhaps a combination of both that are the deciding factor. My own father was diagnosed with alzheimers at age 87 he then proceeded to lose lots of weight and was diagnosed with oesophageal cancer. The treatment options are a horrendous operation which dad would not have survived and at what cost if he did (this was decided by the consultant and we all agreed) The consultant recommended a stent under a mild sedation which dad had and he was able to eat again. This was a great benefit to dad and he had another 2 years of good life. There was an option of mild radiotherapy if his condition worsened but no chemo because it would have done more harm than good which I also understood.

My dad also had a hospital stay of 3 weeks at a later date for pneumonia and delirium which caused a rapid decline mentally and physically. Before his admittance he was ambling along quite nicely but the man who came home could not recognise his own home or make himself a cup of tea. It was decided then that dad would not have radiotherapy and he would not be admitted to hospital again if at all possible. I don't think POA would have made any difference.

It is all to do with causing least harm but your mother is younger than my dad so I understand why you are questioning the decision. I think you need to have another chat with the consultant if this is possible and go through the steps to see why they have turned her down or ask for a second opinion. My mum had her hip replaced under local anaesthetic very successfully, perhaps this would be suitable for your mum. Just leaving it does not seem very good.

It is a horrible position to be in and I sympathise with you.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Every patient is different and responds to anesthetics in a range of ways so it's a bit hard to know fully why the surgery was refused.

My husband had a cardiac arrest and was implanted with a defibrillator and this was seven months before he got his diagnosis of Alzheimers That was seven years ago and since then he has had several hernia surgeries, one for prostate, two cataracts removed, hospitalised with internal bleeding and once after having a tooth out and twice for blood noses. He has survived the lot though he was a bit confused after one of the anesthetics .

I think you need to investigate a little more and if you remain unsatisfied, get a second opinion,