Dementia and moving

Fl0J0

Mar 7, 2022
My mum has been diagnosed with a rare form of dementia called PCA. We've suspected something for a while now so I've been making steps to move closer to my parents to support them both. However, where they live is very expensive for me to move to and the house they currently live in is not fit for the future for my mum. We've therefore been talking about moving areas together. The trouble is, mum will says she's ok about it one day and then be adamant she's not moving the next. It's very difficult for us to make the decision with her, because she forgets we've had the conversations and, when she's in the mood of not wanting to move, she gets very upset. My dad is struggling with the thought of making the decision without her agreement and gets really upset when she gets upset. Has anyone had experience of this and can offer advice about how best to approach it?

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Hi, I moved with my OH last year from a village he had lived for 50yrs to a town 32 miles away, and I just took control. If you asked him on different days you would get a different answer to what he wanted, and I knew it was the best for us. I engaged a moving company to pack up everything on the day and tried to keep everything calm. But control and not telling her too much is the key I’m afraid. Don't ask what she wants, just tell her what is happening when you do it. Good luck.

Fl0J0

Mar 7, 2022
This is really helpful, thank you so much @Thethirdmrsc
Hi, I moved with my OH last year from a village he had lived for 50yrs to a town 32 miles away, and I just took control. If you asked him on different days you would get a different answer to what he wanted, and I knew it was the best for us. I engaged a moving company to pack up everything on the day and tried to keep everything calm. But control and not telling her too much is the key I’m afraid. Don't ask what she wants, just tell her what is happening when you do it. Good luck.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zoobix