Dementia and eating

Maddog

Jul 7, 2018
Hi , I’m asking for advise or anyone who is experiencing the same problem.
My dad had dementia and has recently been ill with a abscess in his gall bladder
Which he needed hospital admission for a week , a week before going into hospital
his appetite reduced considerably,and has ate very little since and I mean very little as in
only the occasional mouthful.He refuses point blank to eat and gets agitated if we keep trying.
He does still drink fluids probably not enough but all the drs are bothered about is if he’s drinking.
It is now 3 weeks and we have ran out of ideas what to do , is it part of the dementia and he’s now forget how to eat , I would be very greatful for any ideas how we can get his appetite back , drs say his bloods are normal so the infection has resolved.
I look forward to any suggestions
Maddog

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Welcome to TP, maddog. I'm sorry your dad has had gall bladder problems on top of his dementia. I am not too sure what to suggest, though little bits and pieces like water melon squares and tomatoes have kept my OH going while she has been in hospital or recovering from a chest infection earlier this year. She did recover her appetite after the infection cleared, so don't give up hope just yet.

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
When my dad couldn't eat he was prescribed ensure milk shakes. He would drink 8 a day, sometimes 10. Not ideal I know but they probably saved his life. He still drinks them but not so many as he eats a little now.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Smoothies may be another idea to add in as sweet things are often preferred and a good smoothie will have nutrients as well as the much needed fluid.

Toony Oony

Jun 21, 2016
Hi @Maddog - yes they will tell you fluids are most important ( and in this weather even more so) - but they will also tell you not to bother about a balanced diet or a nutritional balance - ANYTHING that they show interest in - let them have it! My Mum can usually be tempted by very sweet iced cupcakes, Fortisip and conventional milkshakes. If you find something that is accepted, then try and work out if you can 'bump it up' with something that is hidden. For example, make sure a smoothie or milkshake is made with full cream milk and whack a dollop of ice cream in too. Mashed Potatoes can be loaded with butter, cream and even cheese. You get the idea ....

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @Maddog - yes they will tell you fluids are most important ( and in this weather even more so) - but they will also tell you not to bother about a balanced diet or a nutritional balance - ANYTHING that they show interest in - let them have it! My Mum can usually be tempted by very sweet iced cupcakes, Fortisip and conventional milkshakes. If you find something that is accepted, then try and work out if you can 'bump it up' with something that is hidden. For example, make sure a smoothie or milkshake is made with full cream milk and whack a dollop of ice cream in too. Mashed Potatoes can be loaded with butter, cream and even cheese. You get the idea ....

Oh yes today my dad had cold broccoli and stilton soup with a big dash of double cream spooned into it. He said it was very nice and he ate the lot.. I find it is a good trick to have some with him although I leave the cream out of mine. Scrambled egg done in the microwave with a big dob of butter goes down a treat and I add a dob of cream to that too.

I am happy if he has calories, he never wants to eat so I just say I will do this for you but you don't have to eat more than a bite if you don't want to and he always finishes it, of course he is full up after but hey ho as long as he eats something it's a bonus.

He always has to smother everything with salt and pepper though. Tonight he had a Takka Dhal from sainsbury's but still he smothered it with salt and pepper. I had added the usual dollop of cream so I said no salt and pepper needed with this but still it was added with gusto. Never mind he ate it all so not to worry.

Prudence9

Oct 8, 2016
Hello @Maddog , my Mum used to enjoy those little jelly pots with either evaporated milk or the "food of the gods" custard - or both sometimes!
Rice pudding, homemade or tinned, with or without evap (she loved it, had it in her coffee and drinking chocolate too), baked egg custard.
After an endoscopy and as her oesophagitis settled down I seem to remember it took about a month before she started to eat more of a mix of savoury (tiny dinners smothered with gravy) and sweet again for a while.
I think it takes a long time for our PwD to recover, from anything really - much longer than we expect.
Best of luck, I do hope your Dad gets to enjoy his food again.