Dementia and Digntas

jimbo 111

Jan 23, 2009
North Bucks
'I will choose the date of my death': Academic, 63, in the early stages of dementia becomes first Briton with the disease to speak publicly about why he is going to a Swiss suicide clinic
•An academic with dementia revealed he wants to end his life at a suicide clinic
•Alex Pandolfo, 63, is in the early stages of dementia and wants to die with dignity
•He watched his father decline and die with the illness and doesn't want the same
•He says he family supports his choice and he plans to travel to the clinic soon

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...suicide-clinic-switzerland.html#ixzz4hhQyKMku

Zana

May 12, 2016
I find this so sad. When confronted, people who are about to undertake life threatening stunts often say 'so what, it's my life , I can do what I want'

Sadly when it comes to deliberately ending our lives because of pain or suffering the law says we cant...How can it be 'our life ' then?

Euthanisia so often still understood in the same terms and with the same stigma as suicide is the dignified way of ending a life that is, in all things that matter over...
It is as much a way to prevent suffering as pain medication or operations.

I am so glad I live in a civilised country and I have been able to write an advance directive indicating my wishes for end of life care and life termination as and when the time comes.

Alex Pandolfo is a brave man facing an awful choice, die too soon or face a lingering death.

Last edited:

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
Yes, it's terribly sad that he has to die before he would want to, because of the law in this country.

If we put a suffering dog or cat to sleep it's considered merciful, but if someone wants to end their life to avoid a lingering death, or to save family members from having to witness their lingering death, that's not allowed.