Dementia and diabetes

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
What a morning I had with my mother, all because her diabetic is going out of control blood sugar is high and I rang the district nurse mum medication need to be put up, before going on insulin , she been screaming , had panic attract . She does not want to take any more medication to help her with her diabetic, what can I do I know she not thinking right, does she have a right to refuse medication ? However, to cover myself I have made an appointment with the doctor and the district nurse who are coming around on next Wednesday.

She would punch anyone that tried to give her insulin, I know my mother. she just so confused that she can not see that what I am doing is for her best interest , all she say is let nature take it course , if she dies at lest she be at peace with god .

I left it with saying do not worry.

I love what Bruce wrote and the post after them .

I posted in hear as i was reading to take my mind of my mother scarming , then read what Amy said about being

Around a table and imagine my self crying talking at the table, while the 2 people had a disagreement in the background that they can not sort out between themselves , but its normal life not always rosy with a group of people or in family .

Last edited:

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Margarita,
Have you been able to get your mum to have her insulin?
Don't despair, I am sure that you will find a way to manage it. Let us know how your day goes.
Love Helen

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Mum is only on tablets now; her blood sugar reading has been very high for the past 2 weeks.

So I finally rang nurse and doctor to help me, I do control her eating , but her kidneys are not working, so mum is going to have to take insulin in the future, she needs it now really , but it’s the doctor have to give the go head to say yes his not in to day

Mum going crazy she not going to take it, even if I did get it, so I am not going to worry I just can’t .

She going to have a hyper soon any day, because of it all ,that’s in the back of my mind and mum attitude , is she dose not care , your right Amy I better not despair, if it happen it happen .

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Oh sorry for going on ,

but when your living in it , its so hard not to despair , when I can foresee something happening to my mother and there a medication to stop it , but with this dame AZ , confusing her brain she not listening to me , lol oh god , I just care to much . I shall just park it , get on with my day .

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Hiya Margarita,
We seem to have got mixed up in this other thread, but, I'm going to keep talking to you. Maybe it is just the thought of the insulin injections that your mum cannot handle - maybe when it actually becomes a reality, it will not be scarey for her, it will become part of your, and her routine. Won't it mean that you will not have to control her diet as much - might that help her feel better about it.
Think you have done the right thing 'parking' it - hope that you have been able to get on.
Love Helen

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hi Margarita,

How well does your mother put up with having her blood sugar measured? Is she OK with the finger-prick?

Keeping a close eye on blood sugar levels is always important but especially with insulin due to the risk of hypos. My husband is a type 1 diabetic and has been using insulin for about 15 years now. I can usually spot potential hypos coming before he can.

The was some talk of inhaled insulin a while ago,and I seem to recall that NICE did approve its use for people who are truly needle-phobic or who have problems with injection sites.

Let us know how it goes with the GP.

Take care,

Sandy

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Sorry to keep butting in with my mother and her insulin Mel Sandy yes my mother fine about that, does not like it butput up with it.

This morning after a wired dream I had I cried into my mother arms , and she hug me back. I told her I did not want her to die from diabetic, she does not understand what a hypo is, even the dog jump up and kiss her, amazingly my mother trun around and said to me that if she take insulin, can she still make matrimonial love, she did make me lol bless her she not even in a relationship, she has got so many fears, of her old fashion way of thinking about diabetic .:)

She going to take it , when the District nurse come next week and tell her about it .

All have a good day

Amy

Jan 4, 2006
Oh Margarita, I am so pleased that your mum is coming round, and so pleased that she will still be able to 'make matrimonial love'!! And even when they have dementia, our mums' arms can still be a place of solace.
Thanks for sharing. Pleased you are feeling better now.
Much love, Helen

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
This discussion has been split from another thread

So as not to confuse everyone - this discussion has been moved from another thread that was in this area.

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
Just wondering which came first in your mum Margarita - the dementia or the diabetes? I ask because it is believed that diabetes (especially type 2 I think) makes a person more prone to dementia.

I hope she does decide to agree to have the insulin. If her blood glucose levels are running high then she will not feel at her best. Will you have to do the injections or will the district nurse do them?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
My husband was Type 2 Diabetic first before the AZ set in. The GP did suggest the circulation problems of Diabetes may have affected the brain. It`s scary.

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Margarita

What an awful day you had, hope today was a little better for you. Sending you a HUGE (((((((hug))))))).
Love
Cate

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
I must say I find the control of mums diabetes quite hard.....she's type 2 diabetic and takes tablets.....a month ago i went to take her her usual early morning cuppa I couldn't wake her at all.....she seemed completely comatosed.......i called the ambulance and the paramedics gave her a glucose injection in order to raise her blood sugar levels.....i have to say though,that although she was in a very sorry state she still managed to thump the paramedic!!! She was taken into hospital where they stabilised her and now I have been told to knock off one of her tablets which seems to be working now. It was certainly a very scary time!

alex

Apr 10, 2006
Hi Margarita

Hope you've managed to get your mum sorted out and i hope she's feeling a little better...............my partner was diagnosed as having type 2 diabetes before the Vascular dementia...........it would be interesting to know how many others and if there is a link between the two.

Love Alex x

noelphobic

Feb 24, 2006
Liverpool
mel said:
I must say I find the control of mums diabetes quite hard.....she's type 2 diabetic and takes tablets.....a month ago i went to take her her usual early morning cuppa I couldn't wake her at all.....she seemed completely comatosed.......i called the ambulance and the paramedics gave her a glucose injection in order to raise her blood sugar levels.....i have to say though,that although she was in a very sorry state she still managed to thump the paramedic!!! She was taken into hospital where they stabilised her and now I have been told to knock off one of her tablets which seems to be working now. It was certainly a very scary time!

That must have been very scary Mel. She may have thumped the paramedic BECAUSE she was hypo, as people suffering from hypoglycaemia often act as though they are drunk. How often is her blood glucose measured?

mel

Apr 30, 2006
Sheffield
Hi Noelphobic
up to that point it was done every 6 months at the diabetic clinic!! as she is in respite care at the moment its being done regularly until they can get the balance of medication right
certainly was scary!.....strangely though what always sticks in my mind is that when we were in the ambulance on the way to the hospital,after mum had started to come round she wanted to know why she was going to hospital......i told her she'd had a bad diabetic attack and I couldn't wake her up......her reply....as lucid as i've ever seen her was"why didn't you just leave me then"?
Talk about tugging on the old heart strings!!! I was really shocked!

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
noelphobic

The diabetic was first, then the dementia /AZ.
Thanks for who ever done this thread I was surprised. I have an appointment with the doctor this morning at 9:40 and got to be at work for 11:00. Mum blood sugar level is now between 3 then 8 . where before it has gone up to 24 , it seen now that when mum go to day centre , or I am in a rush and get take away that it go over 20 , glad to read other people find it so hard also to control .

I have to ask doctor to give me permission to up her tablets , for a few week to see how she go and then put on interline if it can not be control with diet and medication.

It seem with diabetic, it can show more sigh of confusion like dementia, so it gets right confusing , wondering is mum move on a stage more with AZ or is it the diabetic getting out of control, so I am sorry to say that if they do not support me in nursing care I am going to have to put mum in a care home , your see when I tell them that how they help me , they just want to make me feel guilty for saying that , so I don’t say it, Well I am now

Well I am fed up with not getting the support from the district nurse in the past, am going to assert myself with them and tell them what support I want, they just leave you to get on with it , till it gets to the point of panicking despair.

Mel that why I panic the other day thinking one morning I would find my mother like that , if I do not sort it out , I want a district nurse to come in to help me , seeing now that I am working if my mother was in a nursing care home that what she would get , so am going to find out seeing that mum at home with me , she get the same nursing care as if she was in a home , if you understand what I mean, I do have a district nurse coming in on wensday , so shall ask her , no , tell her.

Am going to look at that link later on , I am sure mum diabetic set the dementia of , and seeing I was told mum has AZ in Spain , mum could have Mix AZ with dementia . in spain they seem to put every thing down to AZ , just name it AZ , not going to worry about that , but thought I would just mention it .

Thanks for all your support

dmc

Mar 13, 2006
hi margarita,

hope mum is ok now?
my nan was diabetic she died in 2003, she had no problems with dementia, but on her death certificate the doctor had put down the cause as diabetic dementia?
she was a bit confused towards the end but at 92 who wouldnt be.
so im not sure if there is a link we didnt really question it at the time as we didnt think there was any point, but i know she definitley didnt have dementia to start with.
hope you get to control mums sugar levels, she hasnt been at the cream cakes again has she:)
good luck x hope the job is going well xxx

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Well I manage to get to see the doctor and his up my mother medication of Metformin from 500g to 850g 3 time a day , so out came the doset box , with all the 500g and in went the 850g , she on them for a mouth see how she go on them and them have to review it all .

Have to write every thing she eats and all the blood sager levels

Mel is your mother on medication tablets or interline? Do you do her blood sager reading

Sandy how do you. Spot potential hypos coming ? what like noelphobic says he looks drank ?

Yes donna :rolleyes: mum is a terror for snaking behind my back when I am not around lol

she hate it when i pick her finger to her blood to do a reading , that she has stop it now :)