Dementia and Diabetes

jeena71

Jul 28, 2005
Hi,
I would like to know whether diabetes can be a direct cause for dimentia.
What is the probability that a patient with diabetes can suffer from dimentia as well.
Is these two deseases so closely linked that a patient suffering from diabetes can not claim medical insurance for dimentia if the insurance had a clause of exempting pre-existing desease and in this case the patient had diabetes.
Awaiting your expertise and comments
Warm regards
Jeena

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hello Jeena

I'll say immediately that I am no expert, but these are my thoughts.....

1)I would like to know whether diabetes can be a direct cause for dimentia.

I've never heard them directly linked in this way. I know people can have both, and I know that diabetes can cause a number of side ailments, but I've never heard of dementia being one of them. Best to check with a doctor.

Is these two deseases so closely linked that a patient suffering from diabetes can not claim medical insurance for dimentia if the insurance had a clause of exempting pre-existing desease and in this case the patient had diabetes.

My experience is that no insurance company will accept claims for dementia itself once a diagnosis of dementia has been made. Insurance companies like nice easy ailments that can be cleared up, cured and they can make money on. Dementia fails on all three counts.

So it does not matter whether there is a link between diabetes and dementia or not - they don't pay for dementia. As far as I know they will still pay out on other claims as long as they have not excluded them already.

Sandy

Mar 23, 2005
Hello Jeena,

My understanding is that diabetes can indeed increase a person's chances of developing dementia.

The Alzheimer's Society has a small article about it here:

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Mind_your_head/Common_questions/Unchangeable_risk_factors/diabetes.htm

The major risk seems to stem from poorly controlled blood sugar levels which damage a person's vascular system, increasing the likelihood of strokes and vascular dementia.

Can't really comment on the insurance angle I'm afraid.

Take care,

Sandy

Matzu

Jun 7, 2005
South Carolina
jeena71 said:
Hi,
I would like to know whether diabetes can be a direct cause for dimentia.
What is the probability that a patient with diabetes can suffer from dimentia as well.
Awaiting your expertise and comments
Warm regards
Jeena

Here is a recent article related to this.

http://washingtontimes.com/upi/20050725-112517-9174r.htm

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
In my first post in this thread I said I've never heard them directly linked in this way.

well I guess that now I have!

It shows how a pooled set of experiences can work so well.....

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Hi all, can only speak from our own experience. Lionel was diagnosed with late onset diabetis about a year after I met him.

He was diagnosed with A.D. Some five years later. Coincedence.....Who knows.

Regards Connie..........P.S. I have been able to control the diabetis.......

jeena71

Jul 28, 2005
Hi, This was brilliant and I thank each one of you for your contribution and support me in my predicament
Jeena

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R