Dementia and creativity

Pip

Mar 1, 2006
Hi,

I'm carrying out research into dementia and creativity in the hope that I can develop something that will allow people with dementia to be creative and ultimately enhance their day-to-day life.

I'd really like to hear from anyone who has had experience of people with dementia enjoying musical or artistic activities. I currently attend a day centre each week and have found that music is an activity that everyone loves. However, if you have a different experience to this, please let me know.

Also, if anyone knows of key books/journal papers in the areas of "creativity", "dementia" and/or "creativity and dementia" I'd be grateful if you could let me know.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Cheers, Pip

Dearth

May 27, 2005
Wigan
www.freewebs.com
Hi there Pip... I'll soon be working on a Dementia Assessment Unit after qualifying as a Mental Health Nurse (will be after the end of the month) and will be able to see what therapeutic interventions are available there and at the Day Hospital next door - I'll give some info on that when it happens.

Plus... and this is something I'm proud to announce... they are interested in my doing some 'Laughter Therapy' (something I am VERY much into) - I've not applied this to dementia care previously, but I am very positive about it and am looking forward to doing!

More on this when I have further info.

Best wishes to you - I look forward to hearing about how you progress.

:)

Neil.

daughter

Mar 16, 2005
Hi Pip,

My Dad has always responded well to music and still knows the words to some of the old songs.

The following searches in a google gave some interesting results:

+"creativity and dementia" + journal
and
+"creativity and dementia" + book

Sorry if you have already tried this - good luck with your research.

Pip

Mar 1, 2006
Hi Nada

Thanks for the tip about the Alzheimer's research library - I'd missed that one and just got some really good results.

I'm actually doing a PhD and have only just begun so still have a few years to go, but as soon as I have anything to report, I'll let you know.

Cheers,

Pip

Nada said:
Dear Pip

If you're after journal articles, it's best to contact the Alzheimer's Society's librarian - you can search the database online. See http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/Research/Library

The Living with dementia newsletter may also be of interest - see http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/I_have_dementia/Newsletter

Good luck with your research. We'd be grateful if you came back and told us about your findings.

Best wishes
Nada

Pip

Mar 1, 2006
Hi Dearth,

Look forward to hearing about what happens at the unit and day hospital.

Re the laughter therapy - sounds like good fun and I have no doubts it will work. I took my keyboard to the day centre I attend last week and was playing some music in the style of Les Dawson (ie. lots of wrong notes). The clients were really laughing and enjoying it.

Later on, I played a piece they knew well using the sound of an accordian. A carer suggested they sing along, but making the sound of bagpipes (as I'm in Scotland). Most joined in and everyone was laughing and having fun.

Thanks again for replying and would be good to hear how things go. Good luck..!

Pip

Dearth said:
Hi there Pip... I'll soon be working on a Dementia Assessment Unit after qualifying as a Mental Health Nurse (will be after the end of the month) and will be able to see what therapeutic interventions are available there and at the Day Hospital next door - I'll give some info on that when it happens.

Plus... and this is something I'm proud to announce... they are interested in my doing some 'Laughter Therapy' (something I am VERY much into) - I've not applied this to dementia care previously, but I am very positive about it and am looking forward to doing!

More on this when I have further info.

Best wishes to you - I look forward to hearing about how you progress.

:)

Neil.

Pip

Mar 1, 2006
Hi Hazel

Thanks for the tip. I hadn't used the " + journal " and " + book " in google before and did get some results I hadn't seen before.

Cheers,

Pip

daughter said:
Hi Pip,

My Dad has always responded well to music and still knows the words to some of the old songs.

The following searches in a google gave some interesting results:

+"creativity and dementia" + journal
and
+"creativity and dementia" + book

Sorry if you have already tried this - good luck with your research.