Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
The other day I was talking to a friend of mine I hadn’t seen for years. I knew

they had lost a loved one because of dementia during the lockdowns of Covid

but it was only really brought home to me by their vivid explanation of how

bad it was. Sadly the wonderful carers out there can only do so much and as

hard as it is sometimes they have to put their loved ones into care for their

own health and wellbeing as well as those with the illness, as this was the case.

But when you place you’re loved in care you would never expect a Pandemic to

come along and stop you from seeing them.

It was explained to me the horror of only being able to see your loved one,

only through a window and watch them slowly disappear into the grip of

dementia, and mostly because of lack of communication, contact with loved

ones and interaction. Listening to this got me thinking about how many more

with dementia had suffered the same fate during the lockdowns. Interaction

and communication is so important in all our lives and without it loneliness

sets in, which, if I had my way, loneliness would be recognised as a medical

condition.

The figures we hear about are always about COVID but what about those who

have been placed into homes and have lost the personal care of a loved one

which is bad enough, but also all forms of communication? I have no words,

it’s so incredibly sad, and sadly I have no answers apart from suggesting using

today’s technology where possible, where you can talk and video via Smart

phones, laptops etc

I cannot begin to imagine the loneliness and confusion felt by someone being placed into strange surroundings then being left to build relations themselves without their loved ones by their side and dementia breathing down their neck.

COVID Has more to answer for than just DEATHS VIA COVID

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Recently my son in law’s parents both got COVID and were fully vaccinated. The father had been in hospital and contracted it there. They are in their eighties, dad has some complicated medical issues but they still live in their own home. Dad was quite sick so had to be readmitted into hospital which left mum living at home in isolation for two weeks with COVID.

She had never been on her own before as one of the family stayed with her during the times when dad was in hospital on earlier occasions.

She was scared and lost, alone and sick at the age of 84. We all felt helpless as there was nothing we could do. She had groceries delivered and her children would stand out in the garden and talk to he her through the door. It was very sad but fortunately dad survived though it was an awful experience for both of them.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Recently my son in law’s parents both got COVID and were fully vaccinated. The father had been in hospital and contracted it there. They are in their eighties, dad has some complicated medical issues but they still live in their own home. Dad was quite sick so had to be readmitted into hospital which left mum living at home in isolation for two weeks with COVID.

She had never been on her own before as one of the family stayed with her during the times when dad was in hospital on earlier occasions.

She was scared and lost, alone and sick at the age of 84. We all felt helpless as there was nothing we could do. She had groceries delivered and her children would stand out in the garden and talk to he her through the door. It was very sad but fortunately dad survived though it was an awful experience for both of them.
Thank you for your comment xx

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
Throughout the whole covid pandemic it has been permitted to provide care for vulnerable people, including everyone over 70, therefore it would have been lawful to visit her for the purpose of providing care.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Throughout the whole covid pandemic it has been permitted to provide care for vulnerable people, including everyone over 70, therefore it would have been lawful to visit her for the purpose of providing care.
We are in Australia and Melbourne had the longest and toughest lockdown in the world. The mother wasn’t so sick that she was unable to care for herself so wasn’t considered to need care.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman