Dementia and Appetite!

nittynora

May 15, 2008
essex
I have found this thread really enlightening. Feel a bit dim but hadn't associated the dementia with the increased appetite especially the sweet tooth.
When we moved in with her she weighed about 5 stone.Now is about 7 1/2.
Grandma eats like a horse - i try to give a balanced diet...she wanders at night and has in the past eaten a 16 pack of 2 finger kitkats in one sitting and whole cakes disappear - blamed the OH at first. This weekend visitors were coming - made a banoffi pie...gone in the morning. When i quizzed her said she didn't think it was her but could she have the recipe - as if she's ever going to make one!!! She's costing me a fortune. I find she is eating less of her dinners especially vegetables. Am now "hiding" the veg in sauces etc just like with the kids.

Refined sugars not good for her especially as she gets quite constipated.

Only time she seems happy and free from anxiety is when she is eating.

andrear

Feb 13, 2008
Yorkshire
HI nittynora

I have found this thread really enlightening. Feel a bit dim but hadn't associated the dementia with the increased appetite especially the sweet tooth.
When we moved in with her she weighed about 5 stone.Now is about 7 1/2.
Grandma eats like a horse - i try to give a balanced diet...she wanders at night and has in the past eaten a 16 pack of 2 finger kitkats in one sitting and whole cakes disappear - blamed the OH at first. This weekend visitors were coming - made a banoffi pie...gone in the morning. When i quizzed her said she didn't think it was her but could she have the recipe - as if she's ever going to make one!!! She's costing me a fortune. I find she is eating less of her dinners especially vegetables. Am now "hiding" the veg in sauces etc just like with the kids.

Refined sugars not good for her especially as she gets quite constipated.

Only time she seems happy and free from anxiety is when she is eating.

Another fab name!!!
Dad was becoming quite constipated, but he's into vinegar in a big way, why, well because he's come across this vinegar book and he reads it all day long, every day!!!
To cut a long story short, he's started taking cider vinegar with a bit of honey and warm water and I have to say the constipation is not as bad!!
Dad does however, fixate of things at the moment, and its always the right way to go!!! Although he has for the last 3 years believe that Holland&Barratt will always sell something that will make him well again!!!
Love Andrea

Lynne

Jun 3, 2005
Suffolk,England
Ref. the increased taste for sweet things, & also the unfortunate side-effect of constipation,
I find that my Mum will happily eat prunes (chopped up for easy eating, & to ensure no stones) with her bran flakes breakfast cereal, and these help 'keep her regular'. :)

LizzieS

May 25, 2008
Somerset
My Mum sold her house and came to live near me 18 months ago (we moved her into her flat on Christmas Eve :rolleyes: ) and she was thinner than she'd ever been in her life. Although she had carers in twice a day she wasn't thriving and was virtually housebound for a while as she lived on top of a hill in a large house with 24 steps to the front door :eek:

Since she has been in Somerset she has gained quite a bit of weight. A typical day's food intake is:

Breakfast: Alpen, Maple and nut granola plus Oatibakes mixed up together with plenty of semi skimmed milk. A glass of orange juice plus a cup of coffee.

Lunch: Pate and toast plus a banana

Supper: BIG salad with crab and a slice of bread and butter.

She always has a good supply of biscuits around and will have the occasional little bag of crisps.

I buy her six packs of little bottles of fizzy water and she drinks at least 3 of these a day and may have another cup of coffee during the day. I find this is a useful way of keeping tabs on how much she is drinking.

I take her out to lunch about once a week or will buy her fish and chips which she loves. When my sister visits we eat out. I daresay the day will come when this will not be possible so we're making the most of the present!

CraigC

Mar 21, 2003
London
Hi All,

Just wanted to make people aware that sugar cravings are not just associated with dementia.

Sugar craving may be associated with other problems such as hypoglycemia or diabetes. More importantly increased sugar intake can be dangerous if someone has diabetes for example.

So no harm in mentioning it to the doctor if anyone is concerned about such a change in diet. I'm not sure how many of the observations and comments I have made are proven, that's all.

As always read my signature please :)
Kindest Regards
Craig