Dementia and alcoholism.

Joanlinda

Mar 26, 2019
Hi. My name is Joan and my partner has recently been diagnosed with dementia. He is also an alcoholic. I want to leave him even though he needs me. I can’t bear the life ahead if I stay. He can go into a nice care home as he can afford it but will they also be able to manage the alcoholism. Anyone out there who has experienced this double wammy

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Hi. My name is Joan and my partner has recently been diagnosed with dementia. He is also an alcoholic. I want to leave him even though he needs me. I can’t bear the life ahead if I stay. He can go into a nice care home as he can afford it but will they also be able to manage the alcoholism. Anyone out there who has experienced this double wammy
No but I have worked in homes where there are alcoholics.
Their control on drink is closely monitored as it can have a detrimental effect on themselves and other residents.

Avis

Nov 2, 2019
Many years ago my sister in law's father developed dementia after being a violent alcoholic for 25 years. Her mother wanted to leave but the kids made her feel guilty as he would have had no one to care for him and had no money. On Christmas day he murdered her. Go while you can, especially if he is a violent man.

Joanlinda

Mar 26, 2019
Many years ago my sister in law's father developed dementia after being a violent alcoholic for 25 years. Her mother wanted to leave but the kids made her feel guilty as he would have had no one to care for him and had no money. On Christmas day he murdered her. Go while you can, especially if he is a violent man.
Thank you for this. Fortunately he is very passive. Always has been but I can’t stand the zombie moments.
No but I have worked in homes where there are alcoholics.
Their control on drink is closely monitored as it can have a detrimental effect on themselves and other residents.
Thank you TNJJ. It is helpful to know some care homes will allow alcoholics and monitor them

TNJJ

May 7, 2019
cornwall
Thank you for this. Fortunately he is very passive. Always has been but I can’t stand the zombie moments.

Thank you TNJJ. It is helpful to know some care homes will allow alcoholics and monitor them
I was married to an alcoholic.So I know the problems.

Recent Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan