Dementia alongside other illnesses

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Dementia alongside other illnesses

Unfortunately recently I have succumbed to the cold virus that seems to be gripping the Uk, add that do dementia and its a whole different ball game.

Its bad enough having hallucinations and seeing things that aren't there without having a high temperature, a banging headache and all noises being amplified even louder than normal. With dementia, all noises and visible actions can be distorted in the most horrible ways, they become louder and bigger, all around you sometimes seem to spin around so fast all you can hear are sounds you barely recognise, you can't quite make out what you see. Add that to having the flu or a really bad cold and its a very heady mix.

Its hard enough for carers to figure out sometimes what's going on (Or try to do) or find out how the person with dementia is feeling at the best of times without the coughs and colds but for the person with dementia who probably has depression as well it sometimes feels like its the end of days. I am sorry, I know that sounds dramatic, but speaking personally when all these things are compounded into one it's the worst feeling in the world, you can see no way out of it, high temperature, hallucinations, coughing, feeling so rough, hearing things, seeing things and still so confused at what's going on can bring even the strongest person to their knees.

I am not ashamed to say when i have been at my lowest i have begged for permanent sleep during these times, you can see no way out, you can't imagine what it feels like to feel better, or see any better days ahead and if you do? You still know that the cold/flu may go away but the dementia won't!!

I have not written this because i feel sorry for myself, but to hopefully help others to understand how people like myself feel when another illness kicks in so you can all be aware of it

Hope this helps

Norrms xxx

Starbright

Apr 8, 2018
Hi @Norrms ..I’m sorry you have a nasty cold ...thank you for posting and giving a little insight as to how this disease affects the person who has it ...your post helps me as a carer for my husband

Here’s. ((Hug)) Ax

AliceA

May 27, 2016
Your information is invaluable, it helps people to understand. Hope you feel better soon

Theresalwaystomorrow

Dec 23, 2017
Hi @Norrms
This is very good and long may it continue you are helping so many.
My mum in late stages Alzheimer’s and a mixture of other complaints now has a bad chest infection, she clearly said the other day’let me die peacefully’, most times she talks gobble goop!
But anyway she had now been put on AB to help with this and let her carry on with this dreadful drawn out death and we wonder is that right? Who knows?