Dementia aids suggestions please

SirDidymus

Mar 1, 2022
Hi,
My dad has been diagnosed with dementia and over the last year we have noticed his base line has decreased.
On good days he is quite well and quite able, however when he is having a bad day he struggles associating words with what he wants to say. He describes that he can see the thing he wants to discuss but can’t make the word come out. (He is aware of this happening which causes him frustration too)
Someone mentioned that cue cards may be helpful and I was wondering if anyone here has used them/knows a reliable place to get them or should I make my own/and has any other recommendations for ways we could make communication easier for him.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
I think purchasing relevant cards would be difficult but making your own may work for a while if there are things he regularly wants help with. It would be easy enough to find magazine/catalogue photos of 'the thing' that you could cut out (e.g. mobile phone, TV, fridge/food, meds, pic of a man in a white coat to represent the doctor, etc) and stick on cards. And maybe a few photos of family members he might want to discuss.

If he wants to talk politics, climate change or the war in Ukraine, you may struggle...

SirDidymus

Mar 1, 2022
I think purchasing relevant cards would be difficult but making your own may work for a while if there are things he regularly wants help with. It would be easy enough to find magazine/catalogue photos of 'the thing' that you could cut out (e.g. mobile phone, TV, fridge/food, meds, pic of a man in a white coat to represent the doctor, etc) and stick on cards. And maybe a few photos of family members he might want to discuss.

If he wants to talk politics, climate change or the war in Ukraine, you may struggle...
Ha yes maybe slight limitations! That’s great though I will have a go at that too

try again

Jun 21, 2018
Is he happy to try this? My mother went ape at the social workers when they suggested putting a couple of notes around the house.

SirDidymus

Mar 1, 2022
Is he happy to try this? My mother went ape at the social workers when they suggested putting a couple of notes around the house.
Yeah he’s finding it so frustrating not to be able to find the right words sometimes. He’s an incredibly intelligent man!
We met with a chap last week as a family and so Dad was aware of the suggestion.
If it doesn’t work for him then we ditch the plan but always worth a try

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
hello @SirDidymus
a warm welcome to DTP

I have booklet which is aimed at travellers abroad who don't speak the language of the country they are visiting, which has lots of images to point to and they are collected together in themes ... might something such as this be helpful

SirDidymus

Mar 1, 2022
hello @SirDidymus
a warm welcome to DTP

I have booklet which is aimed at travellers abroad who don't speak the language of the country they are visiting, which has lots of images to point to and they are collected together in themes ... might something such as this be helpful
Hi thanks,

Yes possibly. Can you point me in the direction of where you got it?
Also just wanted to say how responsive you guys are. It’s good to have such a helpful community during these times!

Yankeeabroad

Oct 24, 2021
My dad has the same problem and the wrong word often pops out. His problem is also exacerbated when he’s under pressure, tired or stressed. I ask him to describe the item or location of the item/place if he can’t find the word.

He worked with a speech therapist in the US which really helped. I don’t know if this is something the NHS offers. This happens apparently as the existing neuro paths become blocked. The good news is the brain has lots of excess capacity.

She did give us some simple exercises to do at home to train the brain, such as:
1) pick a category such as fruit, and just quickly name all the fruit that comes to mind. Or farm animals, desserts, cars brands, etc.
2) name the category of 3 items written down like aluminium, tin, & and steel = metal; or gold, silver, platinum = precious metals

He and I often sit around the table at lunch & dinner and make a game of it. I also found easy trivia quizzes help, he particularly likes the “recent history” ones from the time when he was a kid.

It‘s anything really to keep the brain finding new neuro pathways apparently.

Agzy

Nov 16, 2016
Moreton, Wirral. UK.
Did make several cards and laminated them but to be honest hardly used. I depend on a 10” white board on a stand which we both can use.

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi thanks,

Yes possibly. Can you point me in the direction of where you got it?
Also just wanted to say how responsive you guys are. It’s good to have such a helpful community during these times!
this can be found on Amazon and Ebay