Dementia after a brain injury

Cherylg1976

Oct 6, 2017
My dad (72) suffered a severe brain injury 10 years ago. 6 months ago he was diagnosed with dementia and he is unlikely to survive the weekend. He has stopped eating and drinking so we are waiting for his (very strong!) heart to stop.

Dads psychiatrist has told us that brain injury brings dementia forward by 10 years and can also mean it's more aggressive.

Has anybody else dealt with this? It's so hard having lost most of who he was 10 years ago to be losing him finally now so quickly. Devastated....

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
I echo the sentiments of Cat27.

My wife suffered 2 concussions that were bad enough for in-patient hospital treatments when in her 20's. She was diagnosed at 64 and the head injuries were noted as one of the risk factors that may have led to the disease.

Cherylg1976

Oct 6, 2017
I echo the sentiments of Cat27.

My wife suffered 2 concussions that were bad enough for in-patient hospital treatments when in her 20's. She was diagnosed at 64 and the head injuries were noted as one of the risk factors that may have led to the disease.

Thanks karaokepete. We were told about so many future risks after his brain injury but nothing about dementia. It seems so cruel when he's dealt with so much. The only saving grace is that his poor quality of life and suffering will soon be over

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
My OH had a brain injury 25 years ago that left him with a TBI. He has now (at 61 years old) developed FTD. I was told that a brain injury can increase your chances of dementia (of any sort) by 30%

I am sorry that your dad is going downhill so fast - it must have come as a shock
((((hugs))))