Dementia Action Week 2022 - Getting a diagnosis

Shel_B

Staff Member
Staff member
May 5, 2020
Doncaster
Asking the same question, over and over again. It’s not called getting old, it’s called getting ill.

If you or a loved one are experiencing memory loss, it could be a sign of dementia.

Recent research, conducted with over 1000 people affected by dementia, shows that the misconception that symptoms like memory loss are a sign of normal ageing is the biggest barrier to people seeking a dementia diagnosis.

With diagnosis rates at a five-year low, tens of thousands of people are now living with undiagnosed dementia. This means they don’t have access to the vital care and support that a diagnosis can bring.

Getting a diagnosis can be daunting, but we believe it’s better to know. And so do 91% of people affected by dementia.

Over 9 in 10 people affected by dementia say getting a diagnosis has benefited them. It allows them to receive practical advice and support, to plan for the future and can even offer a sense of relief in knowing what’s going on.

Getting a timely diagnosis is important and can help people avoid reaching a possible crisis point.

Alzheimer’s Society offers dedicated advice and support for anyone concerned that they or someone they’re close to may be experiencing signs of dementia. From information on memory loss symptoms, to what to expect from a meeting with a GP.

Support and more information about a diagnosis is just a phone call or a click away. Visit alzheimers.org.uk/memoryloss or call 0333 150 3456

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I was completely unprepared for this to hit me in the commercial break during Coronation Street this evening. It was a shot from the past and so realistic it was like reliving the situation all over again. It was so powerful I ended up in tears and literally shaking.

How strange. I could not have expected such a reaction.